Author Topic: Lightroom CC workflow with PM  (Read 4200 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Lightroom CC workflow with PM
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »
Hi, I am investigating possible workflows with Lightroom CC and PM, mainly for vacation photos and similar. My current workflow is to import wirelessly accompanying jpegs from R+J pairs in-camera into iPad and Lightroom CC for quick review on the plane or during spare time, rate and do some quick edits on the jpegs for social media. Which is fine, but when I get home, I would like to transfer the selects from LR CC to PM to edit the same RAW files I imported to LR CC as JPEGS before for proper grading and galleries. The easiest way I thought of would be ingesting RAW files from the card, and saving the selected JPEGs from LR CC to the same folder, sorting them based on rating read from the JPEGs to create R+J pairs of the selects for further grading. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, it seems LR CC Save As function does not honour the original frame number or filename, and simply adds IMGxxxx as the file name incremented in a random matter. I can do a sort by Capture time in PM to visualise the possible pairs, but that is quite time consuming and not that precise, as I have to scan the contact sheet visually, and rename each and every LR CC exported JPEG to have same name (or at least rate it the same) as the RAW file.

Would you have any better suggestion? Thanks.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Lightroom CC workflow with PM
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:56:26 PM »
I am quite aware LR CC is still a pretty bad app (and one that is unfortunately not at all filesystem centric, a bad design decision but what else could we expect from Adobe...), but so far it's only one that can do some quick edits and grading on wifi imported jpegs. If it was possible to import RAWs through wifi it would make it much easier, although the same problem of syncing the edited photos to other programs would still persist)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:23:37 PM »
Frantisek,

The lack of file system "centricity" may have more to do with iOS sandbox restrictions than poor design decisions by Adobe.

That said, I don't have any ideas to help you in your situation.  If PM were the initial app in the chain I would have you tuck away the {filename} in an unused IPTC field so that you could have access to it later.  Perhaps Lr CC has the same capability and will let you name your images using some sort of variables?

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »
Would it help to add a star rating or tag in camera for the files for which you are transmitting the jpg?  Then when you ingested the raw files, at least you would narrow those down.   If that worked, you could rename both the raws and jpgs  with a common filename base and the sequence variable so that they would line up for metadata sync.

Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits