Author Topic: Moving photos from PhotoMechanic to a Finder window is extremely slow and lags  (Read 2981 times)

Offline jameskachan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Dragging selected photos from Photo Mechanic 5 to a Finder window no longer works properly — previous to MacOS High Sierra, moving photos from Photo Mechanic to a Finder window resulted in a quick "Move" of the photos  but now produced visual UI lags, considerable wait times to "Move" photos, and generally lags or glitches or sometimes doesn't work at all.

Is this a known issue? Is it related to APFS drives? Is Camerabits working on a solution?

Thank you
- James

MacOS 12.13.2 High Sierra
APFS Formated

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 19094 (12cba6f)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
James,

Dragging selected photos from Photo Mechanic 5 to a Finder window no longer works properly — previous to MacOS High Sierra, moving photos from Photo Mechanic to a Finder window resulted in a quick "Move" of the photos  but now produced visual UI lags, considerable wait times to "Move" photos, and generally lags or glitches or sometimes doesn't work at all.

Is this a known issue? Is it related to APFS drives? Is Camerabits working on a solution?

MacOS 12.13.2 High Sierra
APFS Formated

Not a known issue and because it is not a known issue, we are not yet working on a solution.  I expect that it is yet another bug in macOS 10.13 which has been one of the worst macOS releases in many years.

If using the Copy dialog and choosing the same destination produces a much faster result then it is quite likely that the problem lies with macOS 10.13 and not PM5.  The same code that copies files during drag and drop is also used by the Copy dialog.  Remember to use the move option if you really want to move and not duplicate the files.

-Kirk

Offline jameskachan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks, I figured it might be related to the OS.

Which is strange since apple claims that the new APFS filesystem should be so much faster, it does duplicate/copy large folders of files instantly, however when you try to move a folder from one directory on an internal flash/solid-state drive, it does take a while… ugh. At least for me, not sure if it is an issue for other users.

Offline jameskachan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Actually, I think I wrote too soon — I just tested Finder.app for moving (not copying)  about 30GB of photos, around 400 or so selected RAW Files from one folder on a drive to another folder and the results were pretty quick.

Those same photos selected within Photo Mechanic, and dragged out of Photo Mechanic into a Finder window of another Folder (on the same internal hard drive) produced visual UI problems and took a very long time to move the photos, 10—20 seconds.

The red "Sticker" icon that updates with the amount of items selected fails to render entirely, Finder windows freeze up, and other little weird things happen before eventually completing.

These issues do no happen when moving content within Finder, only when moving from out of Photo Mechanic into a Finder window.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Thank you for the information. I'll try and recreate the problem on my system.

-Jerry