Author Topic: Photo Mechanic & Lightroom issue.  (Read 5270 times)

Offline avenuewhite

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic & Lightroom issue.
« on: August 18, 2017, 12:28:28 AM »
Hello.

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18610 (2882482) on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Let me talk you through our issue. I apologise in advance for my poor use of computer language!

We are photographers and use Photo Mechanic (PM) to cull our images and Lightroom (LR). On the times I have used the same computer for the cull and edit, so transferring the chosen images from PM directly into LR there have been no issue.  After the edit I then tidy my computer up by moving the edited photos to an external drive and then relink the LR catalogue to the images new location. All files have linked successfully.

The problem has occurred on the occasions when my wife has done our culling on her laptop using PM and then I have transferred the chosen images to my computer. Followed the same process as above and then on the final step the images aren't linking at all in LR when the images have been moved to the external drive.

I am planning on contacting LR about this issue too as it could be a catalogue issue, but I thought I would ask PM if you have head of this before.

Thanks. Jonny,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic & Lightroom issue.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:33:35 AM »
Johnny,

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18610 (2882482) on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Let me talk you through our issue. I apologise in advance for my poor use of computer language!

We are photographers and use Photo Mechanic (PM) to cull our images and Lightroom (LR). On the times I have used the same computer for the cull and edit, so transferring the chosen images from PM directly into LR there have been no issue.  After the edit I then tidy my computer up by moving the edited photos to an external drive and then relink the LR catalogue to the images new location. All files have linked successfully.

The problem has occurred on the occasions when my wife has done our culling on her laptop using PM and then I have transferred the chosen images to my computer. Followed the same process as above and then on the final step the images aren't linking at all in LR when the images have been moved to the external drive.

I am planning on contacting LR about this issue too as it could be a catalogue issue, but I thought I would ask PM if you have head of this before.

No, I have not heard of this issue before now.  I'm not sure how PM could cause LR to not find images unless you asked PM to delete them.

-Kirk

Offline avenuewhite

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »
Hi Kirk and thanks for the reply.

I have thought the issue over a little more and it looks like a catalogue issue from LR. It must be something to do with the LR import catalogue and how  am misusing it!

Thanks again.

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »
In the for what it's worth arena - when you move them into lightroom, if you just drag and drop the import dialog comes up.  use THAT to move (or copy) the files to where ever you want them, as opposed to moving things manually.  This way there's no need to ever re-link anything.

Offline duflung

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 05:10:07 AM »
Recently (Oct/Nov 2017): Adobe once again changed how their apps accept images from other applications.
What is the new work flow Photo Mechanic to Lightroom?
Old drag and drop way no longer working for me.
Since Lightroom culling is now competitive,
Is Photo Mechanic worth it?
Cheers,
Bill Harris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:18:01 AM »
Bill,

Recently (Oct/Nov 2017): Adobe once again changed how their apps accept images from other applications.

You mean even if you take PM out of the loop and drag and drop images from your desktop that Lr won't accept them?  That sounds like a bug to me.

Well, that's up to you to decide. ;)

-Kirk

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 07:42:37 PM »
Cheers,
Bill Harris

I use Lightroom several times a week by dragging and dropping from PM and have no issues, including on the latest 7.1 version, on windows 10x64.  There's been no change that I can see since I started doing it years ago.