Author Topic: Scaling throws an error when working with big images (Save as, possibly others)  (Read 3305 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Hi, it seems scaling throws an error when working with big files (Panoramas, aprox. 30000x5000px). When I downsized them to 5000px box, it worked fine, but anything over 8000px wide threw an error and greyed out save button

Values that trigger the error:
  • Fit to box over 8000px (8001 and more)
  • To percentage (any value at all, even 1%, 100%, whatever)
  • Custom width - any value over 8000px. Curiously, save is greyed even if only one value is entered (e.g. height - I thought it is possible to only enter height and have it compute the width accordingly?)

Filetype or any other options make no difference.

REPRO:
  • make big photo (tested on 30000px wide 5000px high jpegs)
  • Save as (possibly other dialogs using same scaling code like upload. Not tested as these are not work photos, don't have a test ftp server just live one. Email does not like it either)
  • Enter a value over 8000px, or any percentage value
Mac OS 10.12.6, PM 19094.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hi, it seems scaling throws an error when working with big files (Panoramas, aprox. 30000x5000px). When I downsized them to 5000px box, it worked fine, but anything over 8000px wide threw an error and greyed out save button

Values that trigger the error:
  • Fit to box over 8000px (8001 and more)
  • To percentage (any value at all, even 1%, 100%, whatever)
  • Custom width - any value over 8000px. Curiously, save is greyed even if only one value is entered (e.g. height - I thought it is possible to only enter height and have it compute the width accordingly?)

Filetype or any other options make no difference.

REPRO:
  • make big photo (tested on 30000px wide 5000px high jpegs)
  • Save as (possibly other dialogs using same scaling code like upload. Not tested as these are not work photos, don't have a test ftp server just live one. Email does not like it either)
  • Enter a value over 8000px, or any percentage value
Mac OS 10.12.6, PM 19094.

I expect PM would have problems with images of that size.  PM was never designed to work with images that large.  PM is a 32-bit application and only has access to 4GB of RAM (much of it is used up for other things like the application and other needs besides image processing) so working with very large images will give PM trouble.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Ah, alright. Thanks for the reply. Good to know is that PM can, at least in my case, display and otherwise operate with such big images just fine, and even export them as long as I stay under or at 8000px side maximum for the output file. I know these are not the typical DSLR files PM is designed to work with, but I am used to PM so much I just want to do everything in it :)