Author Topic: Is it safe/advised to use High Sierra with PM?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Is it safe/advised to use High Sierra with PM?
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:32:45 PM »
I know it is not advised to use initial releases of any OS and I see there have been issues with High Sierra as well. So I ask if it is safe, advised or worth to switch or not?

Some time has passed since High Sierra's release and I guess security is usually better with a newer OS and High Sierra integrates much better with iOS 11 than Sierra does, not to mention HEIC format support for the new phones and iOS 11.

So is there any drawback that suggests I should not update now?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Is it safe/advised to use High Sierra with PM?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 11:51:09 PM »
I know it is not advised to use initial releases of any OS and I see there have been issues with High Sierra as well. So I ask if it is safe, advised or worth to switch or not?

Some time has passed since High Sierra's release and I guess security is usually better with a newer OS and High Sierra integrates much better with iOS 11 than Sierra does, not to mention HEIC format support for the new phones and iOS 11.

We have reports that deleting files (images/videos/sidecar XMP) is slow on 10.13.x and have not yet been able to reproduce on our end.  My own personal experience on macOS High Sierra is that it is unstable, the Finder crashes more than once per hour under light use.

My suggestion would be to hold off unless you really need the features of the new OS.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: Is it safe/advised to use High Sierra with PM?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:59:40 AM »

We have reports that deleting files (images/videos/sidecar XMP) is slow on 10.13.x and have not yet been able to reproduce on our end.  My own personal experience on macOS High Sierra is that it is unstable, the Finder crashes more than once per hour under light use.

My suggestion would be to hold off unless you really need the features of the new OS.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk. I appreciate your feedback. Then I won't upgrade yet.

And I wish you all a happy new year!
.-))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com