Author Topic: PM5 R19094 Version Very Slow  (Read 8751 times)

Offline tstelmaszek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 R19094 Version Very Slow
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »
I'm running into a similar problem on a similar system but I'm running PM5 R19094, my system says that is current.  In my case I am running Win 10 Pro (current) on a Dell Latitude E5470 laptop with 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD (>100GB free), I5-6440HQ CPU@ 2.60GHz.  When I double-click on the desktop icon to start PM I get a brief "spinning ring" and then no sign of system activity for about 35 seconds when the PM window finally opens. 

Yesterday I was shooting a basketball game and at half-time I ingested two CF cards (Lexar 1066x cards in two Lexar readers, each connected directly to laptop USB 3.0 ports).  I didn't time it with a watch but it felt like at least two minutes passed before the progress bars started to move.  The transfer seemed sluggish but I didn't have a way to measure it.  This also happened at another game last week.  I know that the performance has been much better in the past.

Suggestions?

Natassia
Throw Like A Girl Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 R19094 Version Very Slow
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:03:23 PM »
I'm running into a similar problem on a similar system but I'm running PM5 R19094, my system says that is current.  In my case I am running Win 10 Pro (current) on a Dell Latitude E5470 laptop with 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD (>100GB free), I5-6440HQ CPU@ 2.60GHz.  When I double-click on the desktop icon to start PM I get a brief "spinning ring" and then no sign of system activity for about 35 seconds when the PM window finally opens. 

Yesterday I was shooting a basketball game and at half-time I ingested two CF cards (Lexar 1066x cards in two Lexar readers, each connected directly to laptop USB 3.0 ports).  I didn't time it with a watch but it felt like at least two minutes passed before the progress bars started to move.  The transfer seemed sluggish but I didn't have a way to measure it.  This also happened at another game last week.  I know that the performance has been much better in the past.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tstelmaszek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:04:54 PM »
Here you go and thank you for the clear instructions on how to send in the file.

Natassia

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 05:42:57 PM »
Natassia,

Thank you for the log file.  I see the ~30 second delays in startup.  To find out what is causing the delay during startup I'll need for you to turn on some debug logging.

In order to turn the logging on, you'll need to create a file named PMDebug.txt and you have to place it among Photo Mechanic's preferences files.  Photo Mechanic's preferences files are stored in the following location:

<your home folder>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\

Create the PMDebug.txt with your favorite text editor (it must be plain text and not some RTF or Word document.)  It needs to have the following contents:

FAVORITES_LOGGING ON
NAVIGATOR_LOGGING ON
NAVIGATOR_VOLUME_LOGGING ON
STARTUP_LOGGING ON

Save the PMDebug.txt file to the above folder.  Then run Photo Mechanic and wait for it to start up.  Next, go to the Help menu and choose the 'Reveal Support Data...' menu item.  Your PM.log file should now be compressed and a Windows Explorer window should come forward and show you the file.  Post it here like you did with the previous zipped PM.log.

Then go back to Windows Explorer and delete the PM.log file and the file you just sent me.  This will start the next run of testing out clean.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tstelmaszek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »
OK, here is the file with the additional debug logging enabled.

Natassia

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:21:17 PM »
Natassia,

OK, here is the file with the additional debug logging enabled.

It is taking a long time for the Navigator to enumerate your Network shares.  Are some of them somehow unreachable?  I see that it finds one network share.

If you never use the Navigator pane in PM, you can hide it from the View menu and then restart PM.  Then the Navigator won't be initialized on startup and I expect the delay will stop occurring.

-Kirk

Offline tstelmaszek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 03:02:19 AM »
YES, thank you!  That seems to have eliminated the startup delay. 

The "network shares" that might be involved are Adobe Creative Cloud, MS OneDrive and MS OneDrive for Business.  I also have accounts with Google Drive and Dropbox but I have never attached to them using this computer.  I've never used the Adobe storage although it shows up on File Explorer, probably to do with my Lightroom/Photoshop subscription. 

My prime suspect would be the OneDrive for Business.  I believe that it is accessed via the university's network. 

One Drive seems to come built-in to Win 10 so I would expect that you would have heard from many more people by now if that was the cause (maybe, maybe not).

In any case closing the PM Navigator pane has reduced the startup time to a few seconds.  I also closed the PM Favorites pane.  I've never found it to be useful anyway. 

Later today I'll try to reproduce the similar delay issue that I've seen with the Ingest function and will let you know the results.  Once I am done testing should I remove the text file that enabled the additional debugging?

Thanks again,
Natassia

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »
Natassia,

YES, thank you!  That seems to have eliminated the startup delay. 

The "network shares" that might be involved are Adobe Creative Cloud, MS OneDrive and MS OneDrive for Business.  I also have accounts with Google Drive and Dropbox but I have never attached to them using this computer.  I've never used the Adobe storage although it shows up on File Explorer, probably to do with my Lightroom/Photoshop subscription. 

My prime suspect would be the OneDrive for Business.  I believe that it is accessed via the university's network. 

One Drive seems to come built-in to Win 10 so I would expect that you would have heard from many more people by now if that was the cause (maybe, maybe not).

In any case closing the PM Navigator pane has reduced the startup time to a few seconds.  I also closed the PM Favorites pane.  I've never found it to be useful anyway. 

Later today I'll try to reproduce the similar delay issue that I've seen with the Ingest function and will let you know the results.  Once I am done testing should I remove the text file that enabled the additional debugging?

Yes, please do.

-Kirk

Offline tstelmaszek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 02:23:19 AM »
Kirk,

Yes, the Ingest function is working as well.  I find it odd that simply changing the view option could have such a profound effect on the overall function.

Thank you for your help in this matter, it's been a pleasure working with you!

Natassia
Throw Like A Girl Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »
Natassia,

Yes, the Ingest function is working as well.  I find it odd that simply changing the view option could have such a profound effect on the overall function.

The Navigator having issue with your Network shares would affect the whole application at various unwanted times.

Thank you for your help in this matter, it's been a pleasure working with you!

You're welcome.

-Kirk

Offline jordics

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 03:37:26 PM »
Hello Kirk,
 the same thing happens to me too. I am in the test phase of PM 5 with the same version R19094. I have Win 10 and runs on a Dell lnspiron 7537 i7 and 16GB of RAM. I tried what the forum says because it seemed the same but not, and now I can not open the PM 5. I have the zip file of the LogPM.
I still have 22 days of testing yet, but I want to be sure that it works correctly before making your purchase

My name is Jordi. I live in Cambrils (Catalonia-Europe). I have the old version of PM (4.6.9) when I used Macintosh

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 06:02:47 PM »
Jordi,

the same thing happens to me too. I am in the test phase of PM 5 with the same version R19094. I have Win 10 and runs on a Dell lnspiron 7537 i7 and 16GB of RAM. I tried what the forum says because it seemed the same but not, and now I can not open the PM 5. I have the zip file of the LogPM.
I still have 22 days of testing yet, but I want to be sure that it works correctly before making your purchase

My name is Jordi. I live in Cambrils (Catalonia-Europe). I have the old version of PM (4.6.9) when I used Macintosh

You disabled the Navigator?  Can you post your zipped PM.log file?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jordics

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 02:36:17 AM »
Yes, I disabled the navigator. I uninstalled PM5 and reinstall again. Works better but not at all. I send you the zip archive. The first time and the second reinstalled

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 08:54:51 AM »
I see that you have run PM 4.6.9 in the past on this machine.  While PM5 is supposed to be able to upgrade directly over a PM 4.x installation, I think in this case it is causing some trouble.  I'd like to start clean.

Rename the following folder:

C:\Users\<your_account_name>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic

to:

C:\Users\<your_account_name>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic Old

*****  Note :  If the AppData folder is not visible, then go to the Windows Explorer Window's Tools menu and select Folder Options.  This can also be accessed by entering Folder Options in the Control Panel's search field.  Click the View tab and set the option to display Hidden Files and Folders.  Apply the changes and then open a new Windows Explorer window and try again.

Next try starting up PM5 and hopefully this will have fixed your problem.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jordics

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 09:25:51 AM »
Thanks Kirk, now is running fast. I noticed that the folder PM Old has dissapear on the explorer. If I buy the PM5 its better uninstall PM4.6.9 and install 5 clean?