Author Topic: connection to photo shelter  (Read 11034 times)

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: connection to photo shelter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
Kirk

I've just downloaded an update of 19094 - uploaded from downloads (had to do this a few times before it was updated) and my P/M is now showing the updated version (why not previously I do not know, but have been updating P/M downloads regularly) and successfully connected to P/S with this (15") Mac. I will now attempt to download the update on my 13" Mac and see if the download is successful. Will get back to you.

Jeff

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 09:54:11 AM »
Jeff,

I've just downloaded an update of 19094 - uploaded from downloads (had to do this a few times before it was updated) and my P/M is now showing the updated version (why not previously I do not know, but have been updating P/M downloads regularly) and successfully connected to P/S with this (15") Mac. I will now attempt to download the update on my 13" Mac and see if the download is successful. Will get back to you.

PM does not have an auto updater.  When you download these builds, you must open the disk image and then drag and drop the Photo Mechanic application from the disk image to your Applications folder.  If you don't do this, nothing has been updated.

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
Kirk

I now know what the problem has been, because I've attempted to update the 13" mac at least 4 or 5 times with version 19094, I've always done as you said "drag the P/M 5 link into applications, but I now realise that my P/M's have not been updating, I will keep on trying to update this Mac with 19094 until the update is successful. Strange that this Mac refuses to upload the newest version of P/M ? It did take several attempts to update the 15" as well though. Your assistance is really appreciated and I thank you for that very much.

Jeff

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
Kirk

Finally successful in updating both MacBooks. It took several attempts to update to version 19094. I will definitely enquire from other Mac owner's if they have experienced the same problem as myself. To now know it was quite a simple a problem as it's been is frustrating to say the least. Once again thank for all the excellent assistance.

Jeff

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 10:53:18 AM »
Jeff,

Finally successful in updating both MacBooks. It took several attempts to update to version 19094. I will definitely enquire from other Mac owner's if they have experienced the same problem as myself. To now know it was quite a simple a problem as it's been is frustrating to say the least. Once again thank for all the excellent assistance.

Could you please describe what difficulties you had in updating to the latest build of PM5 on your macOS systems?

If there is something simple that we can change to alleviate these problems then we'll make those changes.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »
Kirk

Well, I carried out the normal procedure of double clicking on the P/M update icon in "downloads" which then brought up the box showing the update being uploaded with striped blue lines showing the amount being uploaded, then the box came up with the P/M icon and the applications boxes in, dragged the P/M icon onto the Application's box. I've never checked that the update was successful by checking the version No. as I took it the update was complete. Until you mentioned 19094 today, I hadn't realised that by P/M hasn't been updating at all. And it took several attempts to complete the update. For whatever reason dragging one icon on the other continually failed. For that to happen on both my Macs does seem strange I accept. It could be something Apple should correct and program Mac's with automatic updating. But I will ask my photography colleagues if they have experienced the same. And if they have I will certainly let you know.

Jeff

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 11:43:13 AM »
Jeff,

Well, I carried out the normal procedure of double clicking on the P/M update icon in "downloads" which then brought up the box showing the update being uploaded with striped blue lines showing the amount being uploaded, then the box came up with the P/M icon and the applications boxes in, dragged the P/M icon onto the Application's box. I've never checked that the update was successful by checking the version No. as I took it the update was complete. Until you mentioned 19094 today, I hadn't realised that by P/M hasn't been updating at all. And it took several attempts to complete the update. For whatever reason dragging one icon on the other continually failed. For that to happen on both my Macs does seem strange I accept. It could be something Apple should correct and program Mac's with automatic updating. But I will ask my photography colleagues if they have experienced the same. And if they have I will certainly let you know.

I'm a bit confused by this.  Maybe it's differences in what you describe as "uploaded" and what I understand uploading to mean.  The latest builds of PM can always be found at our website:

http://www.camerabits.com/downloads/

On macOS, the file that you will download is a Disk Image file (ends in .dmg).  When double clicked in the Finder, the disk will mount, a legal notice will appear and once confirmed, a Finder window will appear with the contents of the disk image.  Dragging and dropping the application from the disk image to your Applications folder (you can do all of this in the same window since we have provided a shortcut to your Applications folder) is all that is needed to update to the latest version.

I don't understand what the 'striped blue lines' are and why there would be any uploading.  Perhaps you're describing the download experience in your web browser?

If the copy of the application is unsuccessful then I expect that you may have a permissions problem on your boot drive.  I suggest running the DiskUtility and having it repair permissions before attempting again.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 12:25:30 PM »
Kirk,

I think the program that I have on both my Mac's 'Clean My Mac' should repair any disc problem's, but I will do as you suggested and run DiskUtility anyway. From now on though I will ensure the update has taken place by checking the version number every time and not rely on the Mac.

Jeff