Author Topic: Sony Zoom  (Read 2147 times)

Offline jakobox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sony Zoom
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
I am testing out a Sony A7RIII after years of shooting Canon.

One thing I'm having trouble with: checking image sharpness in PM

On Canon, I would just press Z, get a 100 percent view of the image, and it was a great indicator of if it was sharp or not.

With Sony, when I press Z, I seem to be looking at a much lower res version of the image.
If I choose "render raw for preview if possible" I am looking at a higher res version, but it is VERY soft when compared to the raw file after I bring it into C1 or Lightroom (even when I have sharpening turned completely off in C1 or Lightroom).

Any tips for a new Sony user on how to set it up to get a better ability to preview images at 100 percent?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sony Zoom
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:45:16 AM »
I am testing out a Sony A7RIII after years of shooting Canon.

One thing I'm having trouble with: checking image sharpness in PM

On Canon, I would just press Z, get a 100 percent view of the image, and it was a great indicator of if it was sharp or not.

With Sony, when I press Z, I seem to be looking at a much lower res version of the image.
If I choose "render raw for preview if possible" I am looking at a higher res version, but it is VERY soft when compared to the raw file after I bring it into C1 or Lightroom (even when I have sharpening turned completely off in C1 or Lightroom).

Any tips for a new Sony user on how to set it up to get a better ability to preview images at 100 percent?

The embedded preview on Sony RAW files is half resolution.  Unless there is a setting to make the preview in the RAW file be 100% then that's all that PM has to work with unfortunately.  The RAW rendering you speak of is provided by Apple and isn't the greatest.

-Kirk

Offline jakobox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Sony Zoom
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 12:35:20 AM »
Got it. Thanks for the clarification!