Author Topic: Ingesting memory card straight to external drive mounted on laptop?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
I was hoping that it would be possible to ingest files directly from a memory card inserted in my laptop to an external drive, skipping the extra step of copying em on my laptop first. I tried but the desktop mounted external drive does not show up as a possible destination.

I suppose this is not a Photo Mechanic issue?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingesting memory card straight to external drive mounted on laptop?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 12:33:31 PM »
I was hoping that it would be possible to ingest files directly from a memory card inserted in my laptop to an external drive, skipping the extra step of copying em on my laptop first. I tried but the desktop mounted external drive does not show up as a possible destination.

I suppose this is not a Photo Mechanic issue?

It should be possible.  What kind of external hard drive do you have?  What OS are you using?

-Kirk

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:30:28 PM »
macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 the drive is WD My Book Duo 16TB (2 x 8TB) Two-Bay USB 3.0 RAID Array. I wonder why it does not even show when I pick primary or secondary destination.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 the drive is WD My Book Duo 16TB (2 x 8TB) Two-Bay USB 3.0 RAID Array. I wonder why it does not even show when I pick primary or secondary destination.

What format is the drive?  Are you able to see it with the Finder?  Can you otherwise copy images (and any other file type you choose) to it via the Finder?

-Kirk

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:30:22 PM »

What format is the drive?  Are you able to see it with the Finder?  Can you otherwise copy images (and any other file type you choose) to it via the Finder?

-Kirk

That must be the reason, I have been using it and backed up stuff on there it works fine, but it doesn't not show on the finder, no wonder I can't not ingest to that directly. I basically just see the drive icon on the desktop and I drag and drop on it to copy files. The format of the drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

I guess I 'll have to talk to Apple...

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »
If you can see the drive icon on your desktop that is "seeing it in the Finder." If you double click the drive icon on your desktop does it open up a window showing the contents?
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »
If you can see the drive icon on your desktop that is "seeing it in the Finder." If you double click the drive icon on your desktop does it open up a window showing the contents?

It must not be the same thing, because I can see the icon for the drive, double click on it, and use it, but it doesn't shoe in a finder window.

Like having  a pic on the desktop and being able to click on it and opening it in Photoshop, but not being able to to " file" "Open" and locate that same image through a finder window and don't see it. Very weird...