Author Topic: Input of Keywords - Workflow Improvement  (Read 2869 times)

Offline FoTenX

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Input of Keywords - Workflow Improvement
« on: January 25, 2018, 01:43:25 AM »
Hi All
I've been scanning the forums but I can't seem to find a topic that exactly fits my issue.
I shoot motorcycle racing. Typically a day's shooting generates anywhere between 800 to 1000 shots. I use Windows 10 machines.

I use Keywords in the IPTC data to store the race number of any machine(s) in each shot. That way customers can search and find all the shots of a particular race number.

My current workflow is to ingest into PM; at the same time adding pre-prepared IPTC information that identifies the meeting being covered, the date, copyright details etc. In that data is a set of standard keywords that partially complete Keywords section. The task (read: torture) is then to go through every shot and individually input the race number of the bikes featured in each shot. This takes an inordinate amount of time.

I've been able to make the process a little more efficient (read: only slightly less torturous) by using keyboard shortcuts eg + for save and move on to the next image. But I find to get the cursor into the Keywords section at the end of the previously entered string of standard keywords (ready to input the new shot's bike number) I have to use the mouse. This means taking a hand off the keyboard, finding the mouse, navigating to the correct spot then clicking the cursor into the box. It takes seconds...but if there were a keyboard shortcut it would make the whole thing much less arduous!

So my question is: Is there a keyboard shortcut to take the cursor into the Keyword section, and at the end of any existing text there? Alternately, is there a way of assigning a key to do this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Re: Input of Keywords - Workflow Improvement
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:06:20 AM »
Don't enter the number in Keyword, enter it in Caption and use code replacement to put the number into Keyword along with the other values you want to search on the the future. As you move frame to frame, the cursor is automatically placed in the Caption field. Use the numeric keypad "+" and "-" keys to do "Save and Next Image" or "Save and Previous Image" respectively.

I do what you are trying to do for running races and equestrian events.  I can code about 1300 images an hour using a USB plug in 10-key key pad.

M

Offline FoTenX

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:30:10 AM »
Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Offline FoTenX

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:55:57 AM »
Don't enter the number in Keyword, enter it in Caption and use code replacement to put the number into Keyword along with the other values you want to search on the the future. As you move frame to frame, the cursor is automatically placed in the Caption field. Use the numeric keypad "+" and "-" keys to do "Save and Next Image" or "Save and Previous Image" respectively.

I do what you are trying to do for running races and equestrian events.  I can code about 1300 images an hour using a USB plug in 10-key key pad.

M
Sorry, I'm fairly new to PM and haven't used code replacement before. I don't understand how putting the code into Caption can end up writing it to Keywords. How is that achieved?

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 06:14:23 AM »
Code Replacement is one of the most valuable features of PM.  Take a moment to read the reference manual and look up YouTube videos that have covered how to do it.  They just posted one yesterday at https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=UI7pCMRgJTg that covers several aspects of PM plus an intro to Code Replacement.  The Code Replacement process is well documented and is too extensive to try to repeat in a post.

Work through the docs and then post your specific questions here.  What you are trying to do it is definitely possible with PM, just change your approach a little by using Caption for the competitor number then reference that variable in all of your code replacement use.

Good luck!

-M