Author Topic: Inconsistent ingest results - I think because of different Date fields  (Read 4068 times)

Offline MegMac

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

I think I know why this is happening...and I want you to be aware so others might avoid the same stress!

I am using PM 5.0, build 19094. Using PC with Windows 10 / 64

Sample Photo: shows 'Date Taken' in Windows Explorer as 2005-09-06 (yes, I changed the default view in explorer to show other date fields).

The photos that caused the issue were all edited, so I suspect the someone used editing software 10 years ago that messed up the metadata.

My preferences for IPTC/XMP are set to default for this case.
Preferences for viewing contact sheet are as follows:
Name plus 2 Labels
Label 1: {iptcyear4}-{iptcmonth0}-{iptcday0}
Label 2: {datesort} (i included this to help investigate issue)

so, because of the above settings, in the contact sheet I see: (attached file: contactsheetview.jpg)
Correct file name
2005-09-06 (same as I see in Explorer 'date taken' field')
20170201 (as a result of {datesort}, but I still can't figure out where exactly this date is coming from)

IPTC info shows: (attached files: iptcinfo1.jpg , and iptcinfo2.jpg)
Time and Date: 2005-09-06 (Date)
but if I viewed 'Capture Time' instead, it shows 2017-02-01

Ingest:
to rename files according to iptc date taken. (attached file ingest.jpg)
I ingested using an almost blank IPTC pad. the only task it included was to save the original filename as the title. (see IPTC_Stationery_for_Ingest.jpg)
BUT
At some point (still not sure how) I think I may have looked at the different date settings on the IPTC Stationery pad before ingest, and that resulted in a checked box on the stationery pad - even though I didn't actually check that box. (as soon as one clicks on that date field, the box gets checked automatically.( see: checked_date_box.png).

Result: wrong date was used and this is the result: (see bad_ingest_result.jpg)

So...

This seems like a glitch. And since Photo Mechanic is so good at adhering to IPTC standards that I find a field named 'Date' to be confusing.
I looked in support and the manual and did not find info about this date field. Not sure what the default is. Remember, I'm not sure exactly how this happened in the first place. I think it was because I inadvertently checked the 'date' box, but not sure.

Please tell me what you think happened so I don't do it again!

Key Points:
1: I don't think that box should not check itself if someone clicks on the field.
2: what IPTC field is 'Date'
3: It seems that checking that date box controls what that Date field PM looks at on Ingest. If so, I think that's an important piece of info to be included in the manual.

Suggestion:
I like seeing what Ingest snapshot and/or IPTC I'm looking at. PM seems to open the last one used by default, but i have some similar ones and I'd like to see my saved name automatically at the top of the dialog boxes instead of having to make sure I have the correct one by opening my saved versions.

Thank You!
Meg

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Inconsistent ingest results - I think because of different Date fields
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:07:21 AM »
Hi Meg,

Sorry for the late response.

Name plus 2 Labels
Label 1: {iptcyear4}-{iptcmonth0}-{iptcday0}
Label 2: {datesort} (i included this to help investigate issue)

It would be best not to use IPTC Date Variables if you're wanting to see the creation date of the files. This string will return the capture date of the file, '{year4}-{month0}-{day0}'.

so, because of the above settings, in the contact sheet I see: (attached file: contactsheetview.jpg)
Correct file name
2005-09-06 (same as I see in Explorer 'date taken' field')
20170201 (as a result of {datesort}, but I still can't figure out where exactly this date is coming from)

The {datesort} Variable is showing you the capture date of the file, in the YYYYMMDD format.

IPTC info shows: (attached files: iptcinfo1.jpg , and iptcinfo2.jpg)
Time and Date: 2005-09-06 (Date)
but if I viewed 'Capture Time' instead, it shows 2017-02-01

Ingest:
At some point (still not sure how) I think I may have looked at the different date settings on the IPTC Stationery pad before ingest, and that resulted in a checked box on the stationery pad - even though I didn't actually check that box. (as soon as one clicks on that date field, the box gets checked automatically.( see: checked_date_box.png).

So...

This seems like a glitch. And since Photo Mechanic is so good at adhering to IPTC standards that I find a field named 'Date' to be confusing.
I looked in support and the manual and did not find info about this date field. Not sure what the default is. Remember, I'm not sure exactly how this happened in the first place. I think it was because I inadvertently checked the 'date' box, but not sure.

The Date field in the IPTC Stationery pad can be any date. It's simply the date that is stored in the IPTC metadata and in no way affects the capture date in the file.

If you're needing the IPTC Date field to reflect the capture date of the file, you can simply apply the Stationery Pad to your images using Capture Time in the IPTC Date field. Make sure that you uncheck (disable) all fields that you don't want applied to your photos before applying the Stationery Pad, otherwise they will be overwritten.

I hope this helps.

-Jerry

Offline MegMac

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
Thank you Jerry,
Unfortunately, only 1 of 8 screenshots seems to have uploaded.
I understand and agree with you on all your points. I did try both {year4} etc. as opposed to {IPTCyear} etc in different tests.
My point seems to have been lost, and was admittedly vague in the first place! 

From original post:

Key Points:
1: I don't think that box should not check itself if someone clicks on the field.
2: what IPTC field is 'Date' (as shown in attachment)
3: It seems that checking that date box controls what that Date field in PM looks at on Ingest. If so, I think that's an important piece of info to be included in the manual.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 03:33:39 PM »
Meg,

My point seems to have been lost, and was admittedly vague in the first place! 

From original post:

Key Points:
2: what IPTC field is 'Date' (as shown in attachment)
3: It seems that checking that date box controls what that Date field in PM looks at on Ingest. If so, I think that's an important piece of info to be included in the manual.

I just tried to reproduce what you say happens.  I started with an IPTC Stationery Pad with the Date checkbox off and the popup menu selected as "Date".  I then clicked on the popup menu.  Then I clicked outside of the popup.  The popup closed, still showing Date, and the Date checkbox was still off.

In order to get the results you describe, I have to click on the popup and click on the Date item in the popup menu and then the Date checkbox is selected.

This is intentional.  If a selection is made in a popup or a text field is changed, PM automatically sets the appropriate checkbox.  PM does this because not checking the checkbox means that the setting won't be applied.  It would be tedious for users to have to make a text change or a menu selection and then always remember to set the checkbox.  Users would sometimes forget to set the checkbox and later wonder why their intentions were not honored.

HTH,

-Kirk