Author Topic: No MAP Display  (Read 3650 times)

Offline juanvergino

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
No MAP Display
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:23:37 AM »
Hello,

Beginning today, Wednesday 14, february, 2018, when going to "Image/Set GPS Coordinates" I don't see Map Display.

I'm attaching a screen copy.

My operative system is Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update. If you need more information, let me know.

Thanks, Juan

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: No MAP Display
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
Hi Juan,

Please make sure that you're running the latest build of Photo Mechanic. You can get the current build of Photo Mechanic by going into the Help menu > Software Update and clicking the Check Now button.

If you are current on your Photo Mechanic build, then I suggest updating Internet Explorer on your computer.

HTH,

Jerry

Offline juanvergino

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 04:37:35 PM »
Thanks for your time, Jerry

As you probably know, Windows 10 comes with a new navigator called "Edge" and "Edge" does not like Java, as many other modern updates of web navigators.

Since "Edge" is now the standard navigator for Microsoft, the 'old' Internet Explorer has not been updated. There is no more updates.

Anyway, Microsoft keeps the last updated copy of Internet Explorer just for compatibility issues. We could say that we are lucky, because 'old' Internet Explorer likes Java as usual, so I have updated last version of Java (Version 8 Update 161).

I am sorry to say that I still have no map display. The rest of coordinates information is correct, but in a blank window inside the program.

Anyway in the las 6 months, or so, the behaviour of the red icon that sets the position in the map of the applications had some kind of wandering movement. Sometimes it started drifting left o right, up or down, or 45 degrees and I had to close the program and start it again.

Since Java is starting to be removed from a lot of applications, due to security issues, I suggest in a new version of your great Photo Mecanic to use different software than Java.

I'm attaching some screen copies related to what we are talking about.

Thanks!

Hi Juan,

Please make sure that you're running the latest build of Photo Mechanic. You can get the current build of Photo Mechanic by going into the Help menu > Software Update and clicking the Check Now button.

If you are current on your Photo Mechanic build, then I suggest updating Internet Explorer on your computer.

HTH,

Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 04:59:51 PM »
The Google Maps API is JavaScript-based.  We'll check to see if there is some alternative Google Maps API that works with the available system browser on Windows 10.

-Kirk

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 05:32:37 PM »
Since you're current on both Photo Mechanic and IE, it's possible that there's an issue with the Windows Registry key that specifies IE 11. If you're comfortable using the Windows Registry Editor, please see the following link for a possible solution:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10649.msg52185#msg52185

Otherwise, I recommend that you run Photo Mechanic's installer and choose Reinstall/Update to update the system Registry.

-Jerry

Offline juanvergino

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 12:35:23 AM »
Hello Again, Jerry.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I have "run" the "PMIE11.reg" file and the problem is Fixed. It was not necessary to reinstall the program.

Besides the pinpoint red icon to geo locate the picture has stopped wandering as before.

Here's an attachment with the screen copy.

Thanks, again, Juan

Since you're current on both Photo Mechanic and IE, it's possible that there's an issue with the Windows Registry key that specifies IE 11. If you're comfortable using the Windows Registry Editor, please see the following link for a possible solution:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10649.msg52185#msg52185

Otherwise, I recommend that you run Photo Mechanic's installer and choose Reinstall/Update to update the system Registry.

-Jerry

Offline Peter Ibbotson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 03:52:13 AM »
I am using PM5 build 19252, with W7 x64

I have exactly the same issue - the map function went blank and started showing the same error message last week.
Screen shot attached. I am using Firefox as my browser.

Can you take me through exactly what I need to do to reset the map?  I am generally computer literate, but no expert.

PI

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.