Author Topic: How much horsepower for Nikon D850 files and PM?  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Hans Martin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How much horsepower for Nikon D850 files and PM?
« on: April 05, 2018, 04:02:40 PM »
Hello!
I looking  for a new notebook computer that is able to handle Nikon D850 files (RAW and jpeg at full size) with Photo Mechanic very well. What I would like to see is instant clear rendering of the file when hitting the zoom key without lag. Right now I tried a MacBook Pro 13'' early 2015 with 16 GB of RAM an a 3.1 i7 dual core CPU. Here I can still see a lag of 2-3 seconds until the zoomed filed is being rendered clear. I like the small form factor of this notebook but I am also open to use a machine that would run windows like a Dell XPS 13.
I am just wondering what kind of hardware needs to perform without lag on D850 files. What is important for a fast workflow with PM: GPU, CPU or RAM?
Any recommendations/ideas?

Thanks

HM

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: How much horsepower for Nikon D850 files and PM?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:01:38 AM »
Hi Hans,

With the specs of your machine I would not have expected a lag at all and certainly not 2 to 3 seconds. Are you perhaps letting the OS render the image instead of using the embedded jpg? If that's the case I don' think there exists any machine that can render them without a noticeable lag and I recommend turning off the option. Also, what are your cache settings? They might be wrong (since PM is still a 32-bit application, more isn't better…)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl