Author Topic: Custom fields in metadata panel  (Read 5376 times)

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Custom fields in metadata panel
« on: March 24, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »
Hi,

Am testing PM for my workflow, v4.5 beta. And I was wondering if there was support for custom metadata panels and fields in the program.

For example: job number, model release, property release, client, exclusivity and the like.

If supported, where and how do I set these up?

Thanks

Russ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Custom fields in metadata panel
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 11:58:08 AM »
Russ,

Am testing PM for my workflow, v4.5 beta. And I was wondering if there was support for custom metadata panels and fields in the program.

For example: job number, model release, property release, client, exclusivity and the like.

If supported, where and how do I set these up?

You cannot create your own custom fields.  If you could do that, how would your custom fields make it into the image metadata?  XMP namespace?  Reuse unused IPTC fields?

-Kirk

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »
Kirk,

Forgive my ignorance in communicating effectively about this, too many names, acronyms, etc. I never ceases to amaze me that this aspect of the industry (medadata, words to describe images) is so convoluted with unrecognizable words and acronyms. Anyway....

I currently use PoundHill's xmp panels to create custom fields for photoshop and bridge. This is custom "in-house" data that stays in the files or sidecars but is not published to the general public.

These fields are then mapped into my DAM Portfolio, pun intended, and allow me to massage and present data as needed for my site, www.widstock.com.

Hope this is clear. Previously, I have mapped my custom data into unused fields, but did not like this.

russ

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 02:10:02 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I'd like to add my vote to Russ's for custom XMP panels. They are in the XMP/IPTC Core specs. Adobe and Extensis use them. iView nearly does in that it writes them to files but can't read other apps custom fields.

-- Robert.