Author Topic: Contact Sheet Random flickering/can't see images  (Read 6827 times)

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
Contact Sheet Random flickering/can't see images
« on: March 05, 2018, 05:01:40 PM »
Does PM5 make use of the GPU at all?

I installed the trial and watching tutorials on ingest/workflow with Lightroom 6 and/or Capture One 7 Express.  I imported a small number of native .ORF files from my Olympus mirrorless cameras.  All of a sudden the contact sheet started flickering and I couldn't see any of the images I had imported, rated and added captions to.  I had to close PM5 and start all over again. That didn't instill confidence in the app for me as I'm on the fence about purchasing.  The speed of ingest is amazing, but if I lose all my captioning/editing then that efficiency is lost due to rebuilding all the detailed information.

My desktop workstation is an older x58 hexcore with 24GB RAM and nVidia GTX-660ti graphics card plus all sorts of HD's.  My laptop is a Dell Precision class with i7 quadcore and 16GB RAM

Any advice would be great - Thanks!
Cliff Etzel - Photographer, Storyteller, Humanitarian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Contact Sheet Random flickering/can't see images
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:08:34 PM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »
Hopefully you can make sense of what happened for me - It seems to me that the past few nVidia driver updates have caused problems for certain apps I use - Google Chrome won't show videos on YouTube, GPU fan seems to run alot more than usual, etc.  Are there any advantages to switching to an AMD based graphics card for PM5 or is it tied only to CPU horsepower?  The only app that I still use that Requires nVidia is Premiere Pro CS6 (I refuse to go with renting my software from Adobe or anyone else).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »
Cliff,

PM does not execute any special code on the GPU.

Your build is fairly old.  Please get the build of PM5 referenced on this page:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=11321.0

If the problems persist, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
Thanks Kirk - I didn't think that there would be an updated version - I had the older copy of the trial downloaded to my computer from awhile back and just installed that version.  Now to see if that resolves the issue or if it was just a fluke.

Thanks for your help!

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:44:32 PM »
Thanks Kirk - I didn't think that there would be an updated version - I had the older copy of the trial downloaded to my computer from awhile back and just installed that version.  Now to see if that resolves the issue or if it was just a fluke.

Thanks for your help!

Seems this gremlin has showed up at least 3 more times and my trial is about to expire...  I've attached a short video clip to show exactly what's happening.  I have to shut down PM5 latest build, restart and then reopen the last ingest - Any ideas what's going on?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »

Thanks for your help!

Seems this gremlin has showed up at least 3 more times and my trial is about to expire...  I've attached a short video clip to show exactly what's happening.  I have to shut down PM5 latest build, restart and then reopen the last ingest - Any ideas what's going on?

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »
Sorry for my delay in responding - I've been away from my desktop machine for the past week.  I've attached the log file per your request

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 09:26:19 AM »
Cliff,

Your Photo Mechanic application install appears to be damaged.  Please download and install the latest build of Photo Mechanic from our website.

http://www.camerabits.com/downloads/

-Kirk