Author Topic: question and manual  (Read 4673 times)

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
question and manual
« on: March 24, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »
One question as a newbie. should PM update image, not metadata, changes made in photoshop. In other words will the thumbnail and preview reflect changes made in ACR?

If so, how does one "refresh" the an image to show the changes? If not, why aren't my thumbs reflecting the changes?

Also, how does one get a manual, the help menu finds no results for .xmp, so perhaps it is not really functioning.

Mac os 10.4.8

russ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: question and manual
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:35:54 PM »
Russ,

One question as a newbie. should PM update image, not metadata, changes made in photoshop. In other words will the thumbnail and preview reflect changes made in ACR?

If so, how does one "refresh" the an image to show the changes? If not, why aren't my thumbs reflecting the changes?

Photo Mechanic does not (in general) render RAW files and even when you do set it to render RAW files (Mac OS version only), it still will not render with Adobe's proprietary rendering settings.

Photo Mechanic uses the JPEG previews embedded into RAW files for previews.  ACR/Bridge/Lightroom do not update the JPEG previews in RAW files.  They all do however update previews in DNG files.  So if you want, you can use DNG.

Quote from: widphoto
Also, how does one get a manual, the help menu finds no results for .xmp, so perhaps it is not really functioning.

Go to the Announcements section of the forums.  You can find the version 4.4 manual there.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: question and manual
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 01:42:24 PM »
Hmmm, not displaying psd edits may be a deal breaker for me. If I used PM to post selects via html to a client, I would not be able to "help out" a problem capture.

I do not capture jpgs when I shoot raw.

Any plans to support ACR?

russ

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
DNG
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 02:02:21 PM »
Hi Russ,

This is a cross-post answer from your same question on the Controlled Vocabulary list.

In other words will the thumbnail and preview reflect changes made in ACR?

Unless I'm mis-understanding you no image browser or DAM outside the RAW converter itself will show its edits. This is true for Lightroom, Aperture, Bibble, Adobe Bridge+ACR, Phase One Capture One, Nikon Capture. Photo Mechanic is not alone here - it's just how image browsers work. Bridge is the only browser that will show ACR edits and is partly why it's so DAM slow (pun intended). You could also complain to Adobe that Bridge doesn't show your Capture One edits.

The best workaround is to use DNG and update the embedded preview which PM, iView, etc, use. Unless your RAW converter can update the embedded preview inside the RAW file itself DNG is the only viable option.

Alternatively if you are converting to JPEG have ACR save them in the same folder as your RAW files. That way PM can display the JPEG+RAW as one and give the same affect as Bridge. You can set PM to only open the RAW when you want to edit and you can open multiple RAW files in ACR. One gotcha is you can only send RAW files to ACR c/- Photoshop and not Bridge. Bridge lets you save in background and continue editing on other RAW files. ACR via Photoshop locks you out until all the files have been converted and saved.

FWIW Phase One assure me Capture One 4 will import and export DNG and update the embedded preview. What size that preview will be is not clear. DNG is becoming more appealing.

-- Robert Edwards.