Author Topic: Replacing invalid characters in filename during ingest  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
Replacing invalid characters in filename during ingest
« on: March 06, 2018, 03:20:22 PM »
Is there any way of having Photomechanic replace invalid filename characters during import when using variables?

Eg:  I include my {job} name in the filename, but where there's a space, eg; "The Rolling Stones", the files get changed when I upload to my website on Photodeck, so becomes "The_Rolling_Stones"..
Then when I get an order via Photodeck and I copy the filename(s) to search through my lightroom library, the images can't be found because Photodeck has automatically replaced spaces in the filename with underscores...

To save a long winded process later, what's the best way of having spaces (or other invalid characters) in variables get fixed for FTP etc during ingest?

Thanks in advance.

J
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Replacing invalid characters in filename during ingest
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 03:46:27 PM »
Is there any way of having Photomechanic replace invalid filename characters during import when using variables?

Eg:  I include my {job} name in the filename, but where there's a space, eg; "The Rolling Stones", the files get changed when I upload to my website on Photodeck, so becomes "The_Rolling_Stones"..
Then when I get an order via Photodeck and I copy the filename(s) to search through my lightroom library, the images can't be found because Photodeck has automatically replaced spaces in the filename with underscores...

To save a long winded process later, what's the best way of having spaces (or other invalid characters) in variables get fixed for FTP etc during ingest?

There is no feature in PM that will evaluate a variable and then do a find and replace (find a space, replace with an underscore) before putting it in a field or filename.  However, you could use Find and Replace on filenames after the Ingest is complete.  Unfortunately, that may be an operation you're going to forget to do when you're in a hurry.

-Kirk