Author Topic: Keyword creation in txt files?  (Read 5424 times)

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
Keyword creation in txt files?
« on: March 07, 2018, 07:38:31 AM »
Again, I'm a n00b here as I've normally done this in LR but it's such a pig to work in so please bear with me.

I'm wondering if there's a way to create txt files with keywords that can be applied to images within PM.  Say for instance, I have numerous images where I want to apply certain keywords to the images via a text file that will populate the keywords field.  And I want to create several of these txt files with categorized keywords depending on the genre of the images - is it possible?  Am I making any sense in this question?
Cliff Etzel - Photographer, Storyteller, Humanitarian

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Keyword creation in txt files?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:21:08 AM »
Hi cliff,

I suspect there will be multiple ways to do what you are looking for, so you may need to be a little more specific.   Do you have a text file with keywords already? Do you know what keywords go with what filenames in advance?   What are you starting with right now?

For example if you had a text file like this (Or a spreadsheet) 

DSC_1234.jpg    keyword1, keyword2
DSC_1235.jpg    keyword1, keyword3, keyword4
DSC_1235.jpg    keyword4, keyword5

Then yes you could use Photo Mechanic to apply those keywords to your images quickly.

If you have a textfile with just keywords, like this

keyword1
keyword2
keyword3
keyword4
keyword5

Then you can load those into Photo Mechanic to then be applied via the keyword panel.

Is this what you are going for? Let me know and I can be more specific

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline RogueMD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »
MickO - Thanks!  That's what I wanted to find out - been watching various PM tutorials on YouTube but my eyes glazed over - short and to the point is what I needed  ;)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
I would recommend a 60 minute investment here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2x2xQxl4sc&t=647s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ljJopOcqq8

I watched these videos and can vouch for them in regards to giving a user of Photo Mechanic a nice primer on keywording.  Very well done!

-Kirk

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to create structured lists of keywords with categories, sub cats, etc...  Can't seem to find anything online on how to manually create them with a text editor - Have any links/examples of code or websites with this information?

Hi cliff,

I suspect there will be multiple ways to do what you are looking for, so you may need to be a little more specific.   Do you have a text file with keywords already? Do you know what keywords go with what filenames in advance?   What are you starting with right now?

For example if you had a text file like this (Or a spreadsheet) 

DSC_1234.jpg    keyword1, keyword2
DSC_1235.jpg    keyword1, keyword3, keyword4
DSC_1235.jpg    keyword4, keyword5

Then yes you could use Photo Mechanic to apply those keywords to your images quickly.

If you have a textfile with just keywords, like this

keyword1
keyword2
keyword3
keyword4
keyword5

Then you can load those into Photo Mechanic to then be applied via the keyword panel.

Is this what you are going for? Let me know and I can be more specific

-Mick

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 04:12:02 PM »
So after even more digging, I learned I can create and export a structured keywords list from Photo Mechanic that I can then edit in Notepad++.

I'm unsure if what I've done so far is proper structuring for the main and sub category keywords.  I'm working on this as a test for my community visual journalism blog https://www.lanecounty360.com

This really feels kind of overwhelming at this level but I figure learn now and apply it from this point forward.  Could someone please have a look at the attached text file and provide feedback on what I should be doing differently - if anything? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
So after even more digging, I learned I can create and export a structured keywords list from Photo Mechanic that I can then edit in Notepad++.

I'm unsure if what I've done so far is proper structuring for the main and sub category keywords.  I'm working on this as a test for my community visual journalism blog https://www.lanecounty360.com

This really feels kind of overwhelming at this level but I figure learn now and apply it from this point forward.  Could someone please have a look at the attached text file and provide feedback on what I should be doing differently - if anything?

Looks good to me.  I would remove blank lines (line 2) but other than that, the file is valid.

This documents Structured Keywords: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Structured_Keywords

The file format is discussed in the section titled "Vocabulary File Format"

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »
Thanks so much Kirk  :)

Looks good to me.  I would remove blank lines (line 2) but other than that, the file is valid.

This documents Structured Keywords: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Structured_Keywords

The file format is discussed in the section titled "Vocabulary File Format"

HTH,

-Kirk