Author Topic: Creating codes from an Excel doc  (Read 1392 times)

Offline JRH131313

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Creating codes from an Excel doc
« on: April 05, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »
Hello, I am trying to create a code replacement file for a football camp roster. I received an excel doc with 6 columns filled in, first being their number, then first name, last name, position, school and state. Any way I can convert this into a file that I can load into PM and use in captioning? Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Creating codes from an Excel doc
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 06:08:56 PM »
Hello, I am trying to create a code replacement file for a football camp roster. I received an excel doc with 6 columns filled in, first being their number, then first name, last name, position, school and state. Any way I can convert this into a file that I can load into PM and use in captioning? Thanks!

Sure.  Save/Export it as a Tab Separated File.  It should work fine unless you have any special or accented characters.  If you do have special/accented characters, you'll have to edit the file in a Unicode (UTF-8) savvy text editor and make sure that the special/accented characters look right.

Excel doesn't appear to offer a way to encode the text in any particular text encoding so this can be a problem but if you don't have any special or accented characters it should work fine.

HTH,

-Kirk