Author Topic: Arrangement View Option to consider ranking  (Read 2542 times)

Offline JCSheeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Arrangement View Option to consider ranking
« on: August 09, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
I am unsure if this is a feature request or a bug report, but I have been pulling out what little hair I have left ...

Before I get to that, I'd like to thank Kirk and the development team on their continued diligent support for this great product.  No matter how great PM is, it would eventually wither away and become irrelevant without this.

After taking advantage of the Arrangement View and the "Make Arrangement" menu option, I have a contact all sorted how I want it. I then go through and rate them using the stars.

At this point, the Arrangement View isn't lost or ignored, but it is altered.  The photos with one or more stars are displayed first, and as far as I can tell, the arrangement within this set is preserved.  After all the photos with one or more stars are displayed, the photos without any stars are displayed, and again, I think the order within this group is preserved.

This is a cool feature and I definitely see its merits.

Sometimes, however, I really want the display order to be preserved, regardless of ranking, such that a no star, a two star, and a one star may be displayed in that order if that is the order they were in before the stars were assigned.

So now to the feature request:  Have this a selectable option in the Preferences dialog.  I could see the label for the check box being something along the lines of "Consider Ranking in Arrangement View"

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Arrangement View Option to consider ranking
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »
I am unsure if this is a feature request or a bug report, but I have been pulling out what little hair I have left ...

Before I get to that, I'd like to thank Kirk and the development team on their continued diligent support for this great product.  No matter how great PM is, it would eventually wither away and become irrelevant without this.

After taking advantage of the Arrangement View and the "Make Arrangement" menu option, I have a contact all sorted how I want it. I then go through and rate them using the stars.

At this point, the Arrangement View isn't lost or ignored, but it is altered.  The photos with one or more stars are displayed first, and as far as I can tell, the arrangement within this set is preserved.  After all the photos with one or more stars are displayed, the photos without any stars are displayed, and again, I think the order within this group is preserved.

This is a cool feature and I definitely see its merits.

Sometimes a bug looks like a feature.  This is definitely a bug.  If your sort type popup is still set to Arrangement, then the arrangement should not change unless you move some items around.

-Kirk