Author Topic: File names  (Read 1994 times)

Offline scofie65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
File names
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »
I rename my images using Photo Mechanic with the example “ms-name{seqn}” which ends up as “ms-name1.JPG” and send using the FTP in Photo Mechanic. Yesterday got a call from the pic desk saying my images hadn’t dropped. Resent them and spoke to the desk but they still hadn’t appeared in their browser, though they could see them in their folder.
I opened transmit and could see my images there but the file names now looked like “ms-ââname1.JPG” and also appearing as “ms-__name1.JPG”
I went back to the original rename box, deleted what was there, and renamed again as “ms-name{seqn}”. Sent using transmit and they appeared in the FTP folder and were dropped in the picdesk browser, appearing fine.
The only thing I could think of was I had updated to the latest build, so would this have caused the renaming issue?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File names
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »
I rename my images using Photo Mechanic with the example “ms-name{seqn}” which ends up as “ms-name1.JPG” and send using the FTP in Photo Mechanic. Yesterday got a call from the pic desk saying my images hadn’t dropped. Resent them and spoke to the desk but they still hadn’t appeared in their browser, though they could see them in their folder.
I opened transmit and could see my images there but the file names now looked like “ms-ââname1.JPG” and also appearing as “ms-__name1.JPG”
I went back to the original rename box, deleted what was there, and renamed again as “ms-name{seqn}”. Sent using transmit and they appeared in the FTP folder and were dropped in the picdesk browser, appearing fine.
The only thing I could think of was I had updated to the latest build, so would this have caused the renaming issue?

Unlikely.  More likely is that somehow you type a character that looked like a hyphen but was really a multiple byte Unicode character sequence that the FTP server interpreted as three characters instead of the one character that you intended.

-Kirk

Offline scofie65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 01:40:22 PM »
Sorry, forgive me if I’m wrong, that sounds like you’re saying that I typed something new into my file names.
The files I have on my desktop are still what I named then - eg “ms-name1.JPG” so there’s nothing I can see on my end. I sent three different jobs and there’s nothing I done any different from any time I’ve used Photo Mechanic. They appeared on the pic desk with either “ms-ââ” or “ms__” and I didn’t put anything apart from text after the dash.
Here’s a pic from he pic desk folder

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
Sorry, forgive me if I’m wrong, that sounds like you’re saying that I typed something new into my file names.
The files I have on my desktop are still what I named then - eg “ms-name1.JPG” so there’s nothing I can see on my end. I sent three different jobs and there’s nothing I done any different from any time I’ve used Photo Mechanic. They appeared on the pic desk with either “ms-ââ” or “ms__” and I didn’t put anything apart from text after the dash.
Here’s a pic from he pic desk folder

Without having the actual files so that I can check the bytes that represent the filename, I can't tell you where the process went awry.  How were the filenames generated?  (They're obviously not camera-generated names.)

-Kirk