Author Topic: Not Responding and Computer Slowdown  (Read 3535 times)

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
Not Responding and Computer Slowdown
« on: April 15, 2018, 01:22:16 PM »
I have a folder of about 5,000 images that I go into fairly often. Every time I do, either the computer slows down with task manager showing 100% disk usage, or the software goes to Not Responding for a while, usually 20 minutes or more. I try to anticipate and start the software early, but then it makes it difficult to do anything else.

Knowing it may need to build the database or something, I brought the folder up into a contact sheet and left it running all night. This hasn't helped. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Not Responding and Computer Slowdown
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:03 PM »
I have a folder of about 5,000 images that I go into fairly often. Every time I do, either the computer slows down with task manager showing 100% disk usage, or the software goes to Not Responding for a while, usually 20 minutes or more. I try to anticipate and start the software early, but then it makes it difficult to do anything else.

Knowing it may need to build the database or something, I brought the folder up into a contact sheet and left it running all night. This hasn't helped. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Where are the images stored?  What kind of sort are you using as your default sort type?

-Kirk

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 12:11:28 PM »
Not sure I understand the first question. They are on my local hard drive, not an SD. As for sort, it is by capture time. That is how I have always processed my workflow.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
Not sure I understand the first question. They are on my local hard drive, not an SD. As for sort, it is by capture time. That is how I have always processed my workflow.

Well, you answered it just fine.  Local drive.  Good, so we can expect reasonable performance.
Sort: Capture Time.  Capture Time is one of the very slowest sort methods because in order to perform the sort, PM needs to access the metadata of each and every one of the images to get at the capture time.  Then the sort is performed, which is quite fast once all of the time information has been obtained.

While this won't directly solve your issue, try sorting via File Name instead (temporarily) to see if the speed increases significantly.  If not then we can investigate further.  Please reply with your findings.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Graham1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:16:34 PM »
Interesting reply, which explains an issue I have just had.  I have been on a safari and recently returned with thousands of pictures taken with two cameras.  Both had their times synchronised, but obviously the file numbering cannot be kept in sync.  I was wondering why it was taking so long to sort by capture time, as opposed to by file name (but sorting by file name/number is not a very useful way of sorting if you have images from more than one camera).  I guess this is not an issue unique to PM.

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 02:23:33 PM »
Thanks. I can try that, but once the sort is performed, and the files are in the proper order, would the program still need to go through that process?

If it becomes too much an issue, I will look into changing that part of my process.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 05:56:25 PM »
Thanks. I can try that, but once the sort is performed, and the files are in the proper order, would the program still need to go through that process?

If it becomes too much an issue, I will look into changing that part of my process.

Unless a file is modified, the metadata is cached in memory.  It won't need to be read from the file(s) again.  Some sort data (capture time, modification time, file sizes, etc.) are cached in a "sort cache" which speeds up the opening of a folder that you've accessed before.  But that cache only helps once it has been filled in with information.  If the cache doesn't have the information already then the images have to be accessed.

Until we have a baseline (opening the same folder with Filename sorting) I won't know if the performance problem is due entirely to the sort or whether we'll have to investigate further.

-Kirk

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 01:09:48 PM »
Trying to do this, but I can't get it to stick. I've tried opening the folder, changing to Filename, closing and reopening, or changing the sort before I open. Navigator and Favorites. Regardless, it stays as Caption Time.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 01:11:33 PM »
Trying to do this, but I can't get it to stick. I've tried opening the folder, changing to Filename, closing and reopening, or changing the sort before I open. Navigator and Favorites. Regardless, it stays as Caption Time.

In the Preferences dialog under the "Contact Sheet" tab, change the default sort type to "Filename".

-Kirk

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 12:25:06 PM »
Of course! Thanks

Offline RogueMD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 02:42:20 PM »
I would humbly suggest that what you are reporting is something i was dealing with for a few months on my 2011 iMac - and it turned out that these bizarre performance issues were related to impending hard drive failure. Just make sure you have a back up and if your hard drive is wheezing instead of whirring, maybe consider an update. I didn't see any notes about your hardware other than the finder was mentioned.

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 04:49:29 AM »
Always backed up to at least 3 places.