Author Topic: Deleting favorites - not working again?  (Read 3458 times)

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
Deleting favorites - not working again?
« on: April 12, 2018, 06:57:50 AM »
right clicking on the favorite brings up a menu but the 'remove' function is missing?  Has something changed? How do you delete a favorite item?  I'm on the latest ver 5 -19395

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Deleting favorites - not working again?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:49:04 AM »
Hi schlotz ,

Update: You may be trying it on a subfolder -- the Remove option won't show unless you are context-clicking the root level folder in Favorites.

What OS are you on?  I am seeing it here in ver 5 -19395

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:58:28 AM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:07:19 AM »
Hmm... then there is a bug. Yes the remove function shows at the top level, but I only want to remove a subfolder and I can't find no way to do it.

Only work around I can come up with is to remove the top level and then add back each subfolder one at a time via drag and drop.  Really think the remove function should be available for any folder and not limited the way it currently is.

Matt
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:11:51 AM by schlotz »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:30:04 AM »
Matt

Hmm... then there is a bug. Yes the remove function shows at the top level, but I only want to remove a subfolder and I can't find no way to do it.

Only work around I can come up with is to remove the top level and then add back each subfolder one at a time via drag and drop.  Really think the remove function should be available for any folder and not limited the way it currently is.

To remove a subfolder, the subfolder would have to be deleted from the filesystem.  I don't think anyone would want that.  The Favorites shows the folders that exist on your filesystem.

-Kirk
If you don't want the parent folder, then don't add it as a Favorite.  Add the folders you want as Favorites.

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 06:13:34 AM »
Well that makes some since but the logic still has a flaw. You can remove a parent folder from favorites and that process DOES NOT delete it on the hard drive, so why does removing a subfolder constitute truly deleting it on the hard drive?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
Matt,

Well that makes some since but the logic still has a flaw. You can remove a parent folder from favorites and that process DOES NOT delete it on the hard drive, so why does removing a subfolder constitute truly deleting it on the hard drive?

I'll try to explain again.  When you first started using the Favorites, it was empty and had no Favorites.  You added one folder to the Favorites at some point.  The Favorites shows that folder and all of its subfolders based on the layout of your filesystem.  Those subfolders contained within that Favorite folder are not Favorites themselves and cannot be removed or hidden.

Does that make sense?

-Kirk

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 07:58:53 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Okay, I understand now, thanks! Got to say from a user perspective it's a bit odd. Anything in the favorites section should just be pointers and as such should be able to be removed with affecting existing file structures on a hard drive. JMTC :D

Appreciate your last explanation. I can work around it.

Matt

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 08:45:21 AM »
Matt,

Okay, I understand now, thanks! Got to say from a user perspective it's a bit odd. Anything in the favorites section should just be pointers and as such should be able to be removed with affecting existing file structures on a hard drive. JMTC :D

The Favorites is essentially a list of paths to show as folder trees.  To have the Favorites 'hide' parts of your file system would not 'just be pointers'.  It would have to have an additional list of paths to not show, even though they exist on your filesystem.

I'll illustrate with a simple example:

File system:
Folder A
  Folder B
  Folder C
  Folder D

Let's say you add Folder A to Favorites.  You would then see:
Folder A
  Folder B
  Folder C
  Folder D

But let's say you don't want to see Folder C.  Folder C is not a Favorite.  Only Folder A is a Favorite.  The Favorites would have to provide a means to ignore Folder C, even though it is a subfolder of Folder A.  If it offered such a feature, it would also need to let you know that a folder is hidden and provide a means to un-hide it, complicating the UI even further.

If it did offer such features you would then see:

Folder A (*contains hidden items)
  Folder B
  Folder D

The Favorites are paths to folders that you add to it.  The contents of those Favorite folders is the structure found on the filesystem.  If you add or remove subfolders of a Favorite folder on your filesystem, those changes are reflected in the Favorites too.

Anyway, if you want the ability to hide folders on your filesystem, then feel free to make a Feature request.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:53:00 AM by Kirk Baker »