Author Topic: A7 III & PM: Embedded jpgs very small  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Whitesnake

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
A7 III & PM: Embedded jpgs very small
« on: April 25, 2018, 09:38:59 PM »
Hello, I'm using PM for nearly 10 years and at the moment I am testing the A7 III system. Sonys arw-Files are displayed in PM (Macbook Pro 2015, MacOS 10.12.6, PM build 19395), but if I zoom into the file it zooms out (I guess because the embedded jpg are very small). So I tried to change the RAW-settings in PM to "For RAW only: Render RAW for Preview if possible" and now I can zoom into the picture. The problem is, that the picture is displayed blurry and I cannot judge the sharpness of the picture.

Are there any workarounds?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: A7 III & PM: Embedded jpgs very small
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:06:19 AM »
Not really.  Sony needs to put a full resolution JPEG in their RAW files like other camera manufacturers do.

One alternative is to shoot RAW+JPEG and put PM into RAW+JPEG viewing mode and PM will show you the JPEG instead of the RAW but will treat the two images as one for any editing you do in PM (IPTC captioning, rating, tagging, color labeling, cropping, rotating, etc.)

-Kirk

Offline Whitesnake

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »
But why is arw-mode only so blurry? With my D750-nef-Files they need a little bit so load but are sharp. Doesn't read PM the arw-Files in full resolution? (Mode: Render RAW for Preview if possible)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »
But why is arw-mode only so blurry? With my D750-nef-Files they need a little bit so load but are sharp. Doesn't read PM the arw-Files in full resolution? (Mode: Render RAW for Preview if possible)

We're using an Apple-provided RAW rendering solution.  It may be that it has problems with those files.  Try opening the same image in the Preview app on your Mac.  If it looks full resolution there when you zoom in then let me know.  I'll need a sample image from you in order to fix any issues in PM itself.

-Kirk

Offline Whitesnake

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 12:06:13 AM »
Hi Kirk, once again thx for your help :) I have tried a A7 II file and it can be opened in preview, the A7 III can't. In PM the A7 II can be rendered sharp, the A7 III not. So as you said, it's a matter of the OS support of the arw-File. I'm a little bit sad, that the Sony ARW-files don't have larger embedded jpg-File. Its the same situation with the A7 II. It's embedded jpg-File is quite small too.

One more thing: I have reported a color bug some time ago: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=11327.msg55330#msg55330

It is fixed now :) (I just wrote it to the forums, not as an official ticket).

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 01:50:18 AM »
It is indeed sad that Sony does not embed a full resolution image. However, not all is lost. If you work with Adobe software you could convert your images to dng to get a full preview. This has the added advantage that you can have the software update the preview with your edits as well! In LR this is a manual task, in ACR you can have it update the preview automatically. Very handy :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 10:29:22 PM »
One more thing: I have reported a color bug some time ago: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=11327.msg55330#msg55330

It is fixed now :) (I just wrote it to the forums, not as an official ticket).

No changes were made to PM's color management since you reported that issue.  I suspect it was an intermittent problem on your system.

-Kirk