Author Topic: Upload Shortcuts  (Read 5155 times)

Offline timclarke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • LAT Photographic
Upload Shortcuts
« on: April 26, 2018, 11:52:41 AM »
Hi

Not sure if I'm missing something, but I've had a good look and even checked the forums, but I can't see anything close to this...

I upload to lots of different FTP servers and even different folders on the same server, using different subsets of the same large selection of photos.  I'd like to be able to have a really easy set of buttons (a bit like Photoshop's Actions pallet in button mode) displayed, that contains my Upload connections.  In my head it would work as a column on the right hand side of the contact sheet, mirroring the Navigator.  I'd like to be able to select a bunch of thumbnails, then just hit the button for that Upload connection on the right and have them added to the queue.

Icing on the cake would be the ability to colour code the Connections' buttons and even add a favicon, and have a corresponding colour dot appear on the thumbnail's background when it has been successfully uploaded.

Make sense?

Tim
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:21:25 PM by timclarke »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Upload Shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
Tim,

Not sure if I'm missing something, but I've had a good look and even checked the forums, but I can't see anything close to this...

I upload to lots of different FTP servers and even different folders on the same server, using different subsets of the same large selection of photos.  I'd like to be able to have a really easy set of buttons (a bit like Photoshop's Actions pallet in button mode) displayed, that contains my Upload connections.  In my head it would work as a column on the right hand side of the contact sheet, mirroring the Navigator.  I'd like to be able to select a bunch of thumbnails, then just hit the button for that Upload connection on the right and have them added to the queue.

Icing on the cake would be the ability to colour code the Connections' buttons and even add a favicon, and have a corresponding colour dot appear on the thumbnail's background when it has been successfully uploaded.

Make sense?

Yes it does.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I have been considering something like this (but goes further, allowing just about every operation in PM have a shortcut like this) for some time now.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »
Interesting idea. Just last week I uploaded a bunch of photos to the wrong FTP server because I didn't notice I had switched the connection profile in the normal FTP Upload dialog!
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline timclarke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • LAT Photographic
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 06:42:38 AM »

Hi Kirk

Thanks for your feedback on this (old!) topic. My colleague pointed out the Stream Deck device (https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck) to me today and we realised it would make a game changing companion for PM if it could be linked to this feature.  Even just with the Macbook Touch Bar it could be great.

I also found this other old topic:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=5147.msg24281#msg24281

...which fits into the same basic thing, I think.

Just wondered if you had had any further thoughts about whether it was something that would be worth implementing and if so, is it a near-future minor update or a major (like version 6?!) thing? ;)

Tim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 08:46:55 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for your feedback on this (old!) topic. My colleague pointed out the Stream Deck device (https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck) to me today and we realised it would make a game changing companion for PM if it could be linked to this feature.  Even just with the Macbook Touch Bar it could be great.

I also found this other old topic:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=5147.msg24281#msg24281

...which fits into the same basic thing, I think.

Just wondered if you had had any further thoughts about whether it was something that would be worth implementing and if so, is it a near-future minor update or a major (like version 6?!) thing? ;)

I do think it is worth implementing, but we have entered beta testing for PM6 and this feature was not implemented.  That doesn't mean that it won't be implemented for PM6 in its life-cycle, but it won't be in the initial release.

-Kirk

Offline timclarke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • LAT Photographic
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »

OK, thanks Kirk. Good to know.

If you’re looking for beta feedback at any stage, very happy to help!

Tim