Author Topic: Delineating film from slides  (Read 5850 times)

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
Delineating film from slides
« on: May 25, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
This is, for some kind soul, an easy question but I just cant figure out the answer.  :-[

I have decided I need to try and seperate my digital files from my E6 film files. The E6 film is easier as they are physically stored and I go to a set of drawers. However, I want to use PM5 to sort them out so that I can easliy pull up fil or digital.

Can anyone give me some ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Delineating film from slides
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:48:14 AM »
Frank,

This is, for some kind soul, an easy question but I just cant figure out the answer.  :-[

I have decided I need to try and seperate my digital files from my E6 film files. The E6 film is easier as they are physically stored and I go to a set of drawers. However, I want to use PM5 to sort them out so that I can easliy pull up fil or digital.

Can anyone give me some ideas?

Do you have digital scans of the E6 film such that they are in some format like JPEG or TIFF?  If so, you should be able to sort them by making a Custom Sort using one or more of the various {variables} that PM offers.  If you post a sample file here, I could look at the metadata and see if there is some characteristic that would help you keep them separate from your digital camera images.

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
Yes, I scan E6 Slide film on a flatbed and usually save as a TIF file which I annotate in PM5.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 01:33:52 PM »
Thanks for the sample, Frank.

I think you could use the {firmware} variable in a Custom Sort (you can create your own sort from the Sort popup in the toolbar).  Use {firmware} as the primary sort criteria and {filename} as the secondary criteria.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Sorting

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 11:09:43 AM »
Hi Kirk

Tried your suggestion but it does not work very well. Is there any way to edit the variable "firmware" directly?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 03:46:37 PM »
Hi Kirk

Tried your suggestion but it does not work very well. Is there any way to edit the variable "firmware" directly?

Not in Photo Mechanic, no.  But ExifTool can do it (though it isn't the easiest program to use) https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

-Kirk

Offline jarle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 01:26:17 AM »
Why don't you simply place your scanned photos in a separate "scans" folder structure?

Jarle