Author Topic: Can I create folders named as a seq range?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline mbryan822

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can I create folders named as a seq range?
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:42:54 PM »
I've been using ImageIngester for many years and I used a feature that I haven't found in any other software.

Following guidance I read in an early DAM Book I started storing my images on the hard drive in blocks of 9999 images (based on the native index the camera generates).
This makes backing up the images more straight forward because they are organized in blocks of equal numbers with similar sizes. I then do my organization in Lightroom using metadata.

So for example I will have a top level folder for each camera body, followed by subfolders named set1, set2, etc
Where every set includes image numbers: 0001-9999
When I ingest a card, ImageIngester creates a new folder based on the range of images on the card.
My folders look like this:

Nikon D810
    set1
        0001-0113
        0114-0234
        0235-0420
        9921-9999
    set2
        0001-0234
        0235-0333
        9945-9999

I do not expect the software to automatically deal with the cards where I roll over from 9999 to 0001. I just manual ingest those cards
and reset my folders to point to the next set folder and then keep going.

Is there a way to name my folders like this in PhotoMechanic? I would love to keep going with this because it works great for me.
However, because ImageIngester is no longer supported and no one seems to do this I may be forced to move to a different directory structure.

I spoke to Marc Rochkind (author of ImageIngester) and he actually told me he wished he had never implemented that feature and he didn't
carry it over to the next tool he wrote called Ingestamatic. So there is that!

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can I create folders named as a seq range?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 08:18:13 AM »
Photo Mechanic's Ingest feature does not offer similar functionality.  I don't see the value in creating numbered folders.  They don't provide context or meaning.  I'd suggest creating dated folders instead.  Photos shot in the same year and month would go into the same folder.  If that's too coarse-grained then I'd suggest adding the day into the folder naming scheme and that should keep things tidy.  You could even create a hierarchy by date:

{year4}/(month0}/{day0}

HTH,

-Kirk