Author Topic: Unknown or Invalid JPEG marker type is found - Black Screen previews  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
Hi,

Just noticed this started happening recently two issues which MAY be connected but might be separate..  I've had a few images - both .CR2 Canon Raw files from a 5DS, and JPG screenshots imported from an iPhone X..

The CR2 Raw files - thumbnails appear ok - I can see the preview image.  Double clicking them switching to full window preview and I just get a black screen - unless I hit 'Q' to display the RAW image instead of the embedded JPG preview....
Happened to a random number of images in a set of about 130 images..  The images open in Lightroom and Photoshop just fine..  it's almost as if the embedded JPG is corrupt.. Are thumbs generated from embedded jpg or RAW file?
May be a caching issue?  Cleared cache and restarted PM and some of the image previews were repaired.. 

The JPG issue is similar - except the thumbs won't let you double click them to view enlarged..  clicking on a working thumb next to it to bring up the preview, then cursor to the corrupt image just shows a black screen again... 

The JPG opens fine in OSX Preview..  displays fine in Finder too..  but even Photoshop doesn't like it, and says "Unknown or Invalid JPEG marker type is found" - so while it's not necessarily a PM "bug", if Finder can work around it, could PM be made to and possibly 'fix' the marker type?  I've attached one example - a screenshot from an instagram account that infringed my copyright...

PM version 5.0, build 19395 (69a3200)
iMac 5K Retina (2017) with 64gb RAM, 1TB SSD - images stored on desktop...

Thanks, J
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hi,

Just noticed this started happening recently two issues which MAY be connected but might be separate..  I've had a few images - both .CR2 Canon Raw files from a 5DS, and JPG screenshots imported from an iPhone X..

The CR2 Raw files - thumbnails appear ok - I can see the preview image.  Double clicking them switching to full window preview and I just get a black screen - unless I hit 'Q' to display the RAW image instead of the embedded JPG preview....
Happened to a random number of images in a set of about 130 images..  The images open in Lightroom and Photoshop just fine..  it's almost as if the embedded JPG is corrupt.. Are thumbs generated from embedded jpg or RAW file?
May be a caching issue?  Cleared cache and restarted PM and some of the image previews were repaired.. 

The JPG issue is similar - except the thumbs won't let you double click them to view enlarged..  clicking on a working thumb next to it to bring up the preview, then cursor to the corrupt image just shows a black screen again... 

The JPG opens fine in OSX Preview..  displays fine in Finder too..  but even Photoshop doesn't like it, and says "Unknown or Invalid JPEG marker type is found" - so while it's not necessarily a PM "bug", if Finder can work around it, could PM be made to and possibly 'fix' the marker type?  I've attached one example - a screenshot from an instagram account that infringed my copyright...

PM version 5.0, build 19395 (69a3200)
iMac 5K Retina (2017) with 64gb RAM, 1TB SSD - images stored on desktop...

Thanks, J

I suggest running the Apple Disk Utility and have it check your disks for errors.

The next build of PM5 will ignore bad markers if it manages to otherwise decode the rest of the image.

-Kirk