Author Topic: Importing to Lightroom from a PC  (Read 4553 times)

Offline rogerspix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Importing to Lightroom from a PC
« on: June 04, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
Hi. I just switched to PC from Mac. On my Mac, I could always just select my images in PM, then drag and drop into Lightroom. On the PC, when I try to grab the images, I get a "no-can-do" symbol. There's no way to drag them in.

I watched the youtube video from 2016, but long-clicking on my selected photos doesn't allow me to grab them. I also have Lightroom selected as my preferred edit program, but right-clicking the selected images only imports the image my cursor is on...not all of them.

I'm on a brand-new Dell XPS 15 running Lightroom Classic CC and Photo Mechanic 5. Hope you can show me the way to get this done...I have a deadline! Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Importing to Lightroom from a PC
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
Hi. I just switched to PC from Mac. On my Mac, I could always just select my images in PM, then drag and drop into Lightroom. On the PC, when I try to grab the images, I get a "no-can-do" symbol. There's no way to drag them in.

I watched the youtube video from 2016, but long-clicking on my selected photos doesn't allow me to grab them.

After holding down the mouse button (the long press) did you keep the button held down and then make a dragging motion out of the contact sheet?

I also have Lightroom selected as my preferred edit program, but right-clicking the selected images only imports the image my cursor is on...not all of them.

This is a known-issue with Lr on the Windows platform.  (It was described in the video.)

-Kirk

Offline LSPhelpmePM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »
I have the same problem - is there any workaround when long-click and drag isn't possible? Joined this forum to get help on it. Windows 7, Lightroom Classic CC, downloaded the trial of PM two days ago.

If I can't transfer the images to lightroom after rating them in PM, then PM is useless to me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »
I have the same problem - is there any workaround when long-click and drag isn't possible?

Do you have some software installed that prevents drag and drop from working?  Are you able to drag and drop in other applications?

-Kirk

Offline annmarie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
Good Morning,

Started the 30 day trial yesterday after watching many tutorials and am running into the same problem. I was able to get everything set up great in PM, but after tagging and selecting the images to move them to LR on my PC, it would only show the first image in the set selected in LR. Tried many different scenarios but drag and drop refuses to work for me. If I hold the mouse too long it only selects one image, or I get the 'no go' symbol otherwise. I am able to drag and drop just fine in all other applications on my own PC.

Right clicking on the selected and doing 'edit selected with' does bring them all into LR, but again all of my tagged photos are no longer selected. It only shows the first tagged photo as selected for import in LR in this scenario.

Any work around at all? Super excited to use PM so it can save me time but right now I just wasted a day messing with it and not getting anywhere. Thank you in advance!!

Cheers!
-A

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »
Here is a short video showing the hand off from PM 5 to LR CC Classic on a W10 PC : http://camerabits.fileburst.com/W10-PM5-to-LRCCClassic.mov

This should open in the Movies & TV app on your PC.   When dragging the selected group from PM 5 to LR, make sure you have LR running in the background, with the Import Videos and Photos utility opened. The Control-Shift-i shortcut will open this module.  Now you should see the small + added to the mouse pointer when it's in the correct location to drop the selected images.

If LR has already imported these filenames, then you will need to locate these files in LR, select them and then use the Read Metadata from file option, in the Metadata menu.   **Note :  If you do not have the Catalog Settings, Metadata Tab set to Automatically write updates to XMP, then reading the metadata from file will replace any image adjustments you might have made.  Go to LR's Edit menu -> Catalog Settings -> Metadata tab to see if that box is checked.  If not, then check the box and then allow enough time for LR to write the updates to the file's XMP.

--Bob