Author Topic: Preset cursor position when start IPTC info edit  (Read 5747 times)

Offline berijan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preset cursor position when start IPTC info edit
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:13:06 PM »
When going through my ingested photos, IPTC stationary applied, and then into edit IPTC You allways have to start the editing with positioning the cursor at the right location before start writing.

I would like to have a way save preset cursor position when you enter the IPTC info edit for a new photo so I can start typing the text immediately. This would save important seconds when tagging photos for quick delivery. Every time I step to the next photo when editing data the cursor should be set back to it's default position. Where this position is depends on how the IPTC looks for a specifik job.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preset cursor position when start IPTC info edit
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »
When going through my ingested photos, IPTC stationary applied, and then into edit IPTC You allways have to start the editing with positioning the cursor at the right location before start writing.

I would like to have a way save preset cursor position when you enter the IPTC info edit for a new photo so I can start typing the text immediately. This would save important seconds when tagging photos for quick delivery. Every time I step to the next photo when editing data the cursor should be set back to it's default position. Where this position is depends on how the IPTC looks for a specifik job.

How do you suggest specifying this position to Photo Mechanic?  It would have to be either at the start of a field or at the end of a field since text lengths can differ.

There needs to be a way for you to tell PM where you want your cursor to be positioned.  What mechanism do you suggest we use?

-Kirk

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 03:17:36 PM »
I share the same request and I have an idea. Often I manually fill in information in three different fields for each picture, usually it is "Description/Caption", "Persons shown" and "Keywords". I would like the cursor to always be placed last in the "Caption" field when I move on to the next picture.  ;D

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »
Right.  So how would one specify which field they want to work with and whether the cursor is at the start or the end of the field?

-Kirk

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »
Thanks for asking, Kirk. I can think of several possibilities. A relatively simple suggestion is to place a control in the user interface for the Accessibility preferences named "cursor position", where the user in a drop-down list select which of the currently available (!) fields to be cursor default position in the IPTC Info dialog . (Eg. I have customized the IPTC info in the sense that I have re-arranged the order of some fields so that it better fits into my workflow, which also means I do not have all the fields visible in my user interface).

For instance I would be very happy if I could find the cursor in the Description/Caption field each time I'm about to enter IPTC Info to an image. See attachment.   

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »
For many years now, since this request first came up in 2013, the cursor has been placed in the end of the first field (which in my case is the "Description/Caption" field). But now all of a sudden (?) I notice that the cursor always is placed at the start of the first field.

In my opinion it makes more sense to place the cursor in the end, since the field is already pre-populated with  some text from the ingest process. Then I'm supposed to manually enter some additional text for each image, which describes the content of that particular image - after the pre-captioned text. Therefore, I'd rather see the cursor placed at the end of the first field of IPTC Info.

Thanks in advance!