Photo Mechanic > Support

Command line activation

(1/4) > >>

Kevin M. Cox:
Hey Kirk, has anything changed recently for the command line activation of PM (macOS)?

Documentation: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Activation_via_Command_Line

I'm getting an error I didn't see before when I was testing this out:

--- Code: ---sudo "/Applications/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/MacOS/Photo Mechanic 5" --activate --name=Galveston\ Newspapers,\ Inc. --license=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXX
--- End code ---

After the update to the latest build the command is now returning:

--- Code: ---Incorrect number of arguments (4) for activate, should be 4 or more.
--- End code ---

Kirk Baker:
Kevin,

--- Quote from: Kevin M. Cox on June 14, 2018, 11:16:45 AM ---Hey Kirk, has anything changed recently for the command line activation of PM (macOS)?

Documentation: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Activation_via_Command_Line

I'm getting an error I didn't see before when I was testing this out:

--- Code: ---sudo "/Applications/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/MacOS/Photo Mechanic 5" --activate --name=Galveston\ Newspapers,\ Inc. --license=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXX
--- End code ---

After the update to the latest build the command is now returning:

--- Code: ---Incorrect number of arguments (4) for activate, should be 4 or more.
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

Yes, sorry.  We forgot to document the change.  You need to pass a "description" of the machine being activated.  It's just a string of characters, anything you want really.  The parameter is --description="description of this computer"

-Kirk

Kevin M. Cox:
Thanks Kirk.

Any specific information y'all are looking for to be fed there? (I'm leaning towards computer name.) Does it need to be unique for each computer activated?

It doesn't look like activation details, only count, is available in the account portal.

Kirk Baker:
Kevin,

--- Quote from: Kevin M. Cox on June 15, 2018, 05:57:04 PM ---Thanks Kirk.

Any specific information y'all are looking for to be fed there? (I'm leaning towards computer name.) Does it need to be unique for each computer activated?

It doesn't look like activation details, only count, is available in the account portal.

--- End quote ---

It can be anything you want.  Basically when activation problems arise and users call us for help, having a description that our techs can read back to the user will help find older activations that can be removed on our end.

In the next build, I will probably make that parameter optional and 'auto-generate' it when it isn't provided.  If you try to enter a new license from within PM, the registration dialog does exactly this.  (you can check it out for yourself if you're curious.)

-Kirk

Kevin M. Cox:
Very cool. Looks like the auto-generated description is: Computer Name - Model - Serial number.

I can't see any reason to change that when activating from the command line so will just go with the default and skip that parameter completely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version