Author Topic: Benefits of PM  (Read 4197 times)

Offline animatexyz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Justin Berrington Photography
Benefits of PM
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:02:59 AM »
Hi,

I'm not currently a user of PM. I'm considering purchasing it but I wanted to hear from the community about the benefits and use cases before I add another piece of software to my process. I'm not sure if it will be of any real benefit to my business even though I've heard it speeds things up considerably. I'm currently using Capture One for culling and editing. What can I do with PM that I can't do with Capture One?

Thank you
Justin Berrington Photography
https://justinberrington.com

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
Re: Benefits of PM
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 02:01:08 PM »
I've never used Capture One, but as a photojournalist the main benefit of PM is speed, the ability to batch caption groups of images at a time and code replacements. I can't imagine working on deadline without Photo Mechanic.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline NormanStormin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 12:40:47 PM »
Personally it depends on what I'm doing.
I use C1 for tethering (I'm a headshot and portrait photographer).
For events, when downloading cards I find PM awesome and it fits my workflow perfectly! Love it, been using it for a few years now!

Offline newcastleheadshots

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Newcastle Headshots
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 02:11:47 PM »
I don't use Capture One - I use Lightroom. But I use PM for ingesting cards after weddings. It's much faster than any other software and copies to 2 locations at once. Also, if you have the hardware (ie multiple card readers) it can ingest multiple cards at once. After a wedding job this saves a lot of time.
I also use it for culling wedding jobs. It can render full screen previews of raw files much faster than anything else I've ever used.