Author Topic: Moving PM to a New Laptop  (Read 155 times)

Offline Eagle66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Moving PM to a New Laptop
« on: July 12, 2018, 04:24:58 am »
Hi there,
i'am changing my Laptop from Windows 7 to a new Windows 10 (1803). I will move all settings and Preferences (FTP-Accounts, IPTCDialog, CropSettings, etc.). I have installed the current PM Version on the new Laptop.

Does this Preferences Export works as describe in the sticky topic here, or can i override the complete folder <...AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\*> on the new computer with the old one - PM Versions on both are equal?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Moving PM to a New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 08:21:58 am »
Hi there,
i'am changing my Laptop from Windows 7 to a new Windows 10 (1803). I will move all settings and Preferences (FTP-Accounts, IPTCDialog, CropSettings, etc.). I have installed the current PM Version on the new Laptop.

Does this Preferences Export works as describe in the sticky topic here, or can i override the complete folder <...AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\*> on the new computer with the old one - PM Versions on both are equal?

You could try copying the complete folder over, but some of the preferences contain paths to your old system's drives and if the new system's drives don't have a similar layout then some problems can occur.  The Preferences Export feature is known to work well for moving to a new system.

-Kirk