Author Topic: Error uploading to web server using SFTP  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Brett Simison

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Error uploading to web server using SFTP
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:29:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

Up until very recently, I've been using PM's sftp upload function to send my files to my web server. In the last few days, however, the connection is failing with the following error:

[error: ./ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/ssh/transport/algorithms.rb:299:in `negotiate': could not settle on encryption_client algorithm]

Tech support at my hosting company says this may be because they've recently changed the host key on the server. I've deleted the old key from ~/.ssh/known_hosts but still get this error. I'm running the latest Photo Mechanic on Mac OS X 10.11.6 with all the latest updates applied.

Thanks in advance!
-Brett

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Error uploading to web server using SFTP
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »
Brett,

Up until very recently, I've been using PM's sftp upload function to send my files to my web server. In the last few days, however, the connection is failing with the following error:

[error: ./ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/ssh/transport/algorithms.rb:299:in `negotiate': could not settle on encryption_client algorithm]

Tech support at my hosting company says this may be because they've recently changed the host key on the server. I've deleted the old key from ~/.ssh/known_hosts but still get this error. I'm running the latest Photo Mechanic on Mac OS X 10.11.6 with all the latest updates applied.

The server has probably been changed to use a new encryption algorithm that PM can't support at this time.  Unless the people running the server change it to allow older encryption types then you won't be able to upload via SFTP in PM.

-Kirk

Offline Brett Simison

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 03:00:48 AM »
Thanks for the information, Kirk. Do you have any idea when Photo Mechanic's crypto library may be updated to allow sftp connections again?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:02:09 AM »
Brett,

Thanks for the information, Kirk. Do you have any idea when Photo Mechanic's crypto library may be updated to allow sftp connections again?

Photo Mechanic version 6 will have support for more ciphers.  PM6 is currently in development.

-Kirk

Offline Brett Simison

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 09:38:25 AM »
Thanks again, Kirk. I'll upload manually and eagerly await PM6.