Author Topic: Moving PM to a New Laptop  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Eagle66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Moving PM to a New Laptop
« on: July 12, 2018, 04:24:58 AM »
Hi there,
i'am changing my Laptop from Windows 7 to a new Windows 10 (1803). I will move all settings and Preferences (FTP-Accounts, IPTCDialog, CropSettings, etc.). I have installed the current PM Version on the new Laptop.

Does this Preferences Export works as describe in the sticky topic here, or can i override the complete folder <...AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\*> on the new computer with the old one - PM Versions on both are equal?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Moving PM to a New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 08:21:58 AM »
Hi there,
i'am changing my Laptop from Windows 7 to a new Windows 10 (1803). I will move all settings and Preferences (FTP-Accounts, IPTCDialog, CropSettings, etc.). I have installed the current PM Version on the new Laptop.

Does this Preferences Export works as describe in the sticky topic here, or can i override the complete folder <...AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\*> on the new computer with the old one - PM Versions on both are equal?

You could try copying the complete folder over, but some of the preferences contain paths to your old system's drives and if the new system's drives don't have a similar layout then some problems can occur.  The Preferences Export feature is known to work well for moving to a new system.

-Kirk

Offline Eagle66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 10:17:34 AM »
Okay thanks, it works mostly, the Delimiter Character and the Dictionary Language, wasn't in backup....

I have also an issue with the fonts-size in "File-Uploader" on WIN 10 (1803). It has bigger fonts than in all other Dialogs. It seems this Window doesn't use the WIN 10 Size (Scaling-Function - is set to 125%) correct?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 10:29:07 AM »
Okay thanks, it works mostly, the Delimiter Character and the Dictionary Language, wasn't in backup....

I have also an issue with the fonts-size in "File-Uploader" on WIN 10 (1803). It has bigger fonts than in all other Dialogs. It seems this Window doesn't use the WIN 10 Size (Scaling-Function - is set to 125%) correct?

Could you post screen shots of the upload dialog and some other dialog, for instance the IPTC Info dialog so I can see the relative difference?

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Eagle66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 07:19:43 AM »
Left side: this fonts-size is on all Dialogs, Right: only FTP-Uploader....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 07:54:29 PM »
Well that certainly looks crummy.  I'm not sure what can be done about it though for PM5.  I'll see if this can be fixed in PM6.

Thanks for the images.

-Kirk