Author Topic: Bug: PM5 crashes when filtering large contact sheets by tagged  (Read 1348 times)

Offline kimsejin5

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
When loading a pre-existing contact sheet with above ~2500 images (most of mine are ~3200-4000 photos), I like to be able to filter just my tagged photos, but if I touch or click within PM5 for about 20 minutes after selecting "tagged" in the selection dropdown menu, then PM5 crashes and cannot recover. It's worth noting that this issue doesn't occur on contact sheets that PM5 has created in the same session (say, if I import photos into a destination, then PM5 won't crash).
I'm using Windows 10 Version 1803, build 17134.191. One of my computers is a Dell XPS 13 9360 (Intel Core i5-8550U, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 620 graphics), and the other one is a custom built desktop workstation (Intel Core i7-6850K@stock frequencies), 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro K4000, Nvidia Tesla K20), and I'm running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 19695. I save to external drives (most of the time, a Seagate BUP Slim 2TB over USB3.0)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Bug: PM5 crashes when filtering large contact sheets by tagged
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:39:24 PM »
When loading a pre-existing contact sheet with above ~2500 images (most of mine are ~3200-4000 photos), I like to be able to filter just my tagged photos, but if I touch or click within PM5 for about 20 minutes after selecting "tagged" in the selection dropdown menu, then PM5 crashes and cannot recover. It's worth noting that this issue doesn't occur on contact sheets that PM5 has created in the same session (say, if I import photos into a destination, then PM5 won't crash).
I'm using Windows 10 Version 1803, build 17134.191. One of my computers is a Dell XPS 13 9360 (Intel Core i5-8550U, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 620 graphics), and the other one is a custom built desktop workstation (Intel Core i7-6850K@stock frequencies), 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro K4000, Nvidia Tesla K20), and I'm running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 19695. I save to external drives (most of the time, a Seagate BUP Slim 2TB over USB3.0)

Does the problem happen if you access files on internal drives?

PM should be able to read the metadata (containing the tag information) at a rate of about 100 photos per second on a reasonably fast hard drive. 4,000 photos should then take about 40 seconds to finish.  It shouldn't take 20 minutes to get the data.  NAS drives are notoriously slow, but USB connected external drives should be reasonably fast, no more than a minute or two.

In order to filter by tagged, the tag state of each image must be gained prior to the filtering which should take only a second or two to finish (for the amount of photos you've described).

If for some reason the drives you're using are particularly slow when accessed by PM then it could take a lot longer, but 20 minutes would mean that PM is only able to read the metadata of three images per second!

For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]