Author Topic: PM6  (Read 40184 times)

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
Re: PM6
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:12 AM »
Hi,

I am still using PM 4.6.9. If I update to PM5 now before the 25th of March for the reduced price of $90, do I then still get a free update to PM6?

Karl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »
Karl,

I am still using PM 4.6.9. If I update to PM5 now before the 25th of March for the reduced price of $90, do I then still get a free update to PM6?

Yes, you would then get a free upgrade to PM6.

-Kirk

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 03:46:05 PM »
Thank you, Kirk. That's very kind.

Karl

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2019, 12:07:02 PM »
This is the first I am hearing about Photo Mechanic Plus. Is there information somewhere that discusses it? Looking forward to Monday.

Also, what would cataloging look like in PM? I wouldn't want to sacrifice speed. The only two packages that I use now with catalogs are Lightroom and ON1 and they are both very slow for culling, which is one of the reasons I use PM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2019, 12:43:29 PM »
This is the first I am hearing about Photo Mechanic Plus. Is there information somewhere that discusses it? Looking forward to Monday.

The Plus release will be a beta for any PM6 users that want to try it out.  It will be released later.

Also, what would cataloging look like in PM? I wouldn't want to sacrifice speed. The only two packages that I use now with catalogs are Lightroom and ON1 and they are both very slow for culling, which is one of the reasons I use PM

If you don't use the Catalog features during your culling then they shouldn't interfere.  That said, they're relatively fast.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2019, 05:12:54 AM »
Kirk,

"If you don't use the Catalog features during your culling then they shouldn't interfere.  That said, they're relatively fast."

Does that mean that, unlike LR, you can ingest without involving the cataloguing element and then catalogue the finished images later?
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2019, 06:04:10 AM »
David,

"If you don't use the Catalog features during your culling then they shouldn't interfere.  That said, they're relatively fast."

Does that mean that, unlike LR, you can ingest without involving the cataloguing element and then catalogue the finished images later?
David

Yes.  Or if you choose, you can have every photo you ingest added to your catalog(s).

-Kirk

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2019, 06:51:14 AM »
PM5 is showing a new version to download and when you click on it, you get, "There is a newer version 6.0 (build 2708) of Photo Mechanic for Windows available for you to download." But the link is broken. Assume you are getting things ready, but I'm just going to be banging on the link all day.  8)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »
Thanks, Kirk. That is really helpful.

Currently, my collection of images is around 500k going back to 1972 and is expanding all the time as I digitise negatives and add more digital events.

1) Will PM+ be able to handle that volume of images?

2) If so, is it possible to send a copy of the catalogue, without the actual images, to an editor who has a copy of PM+ for him/her to search for images going back over that period?

Obviously, depending on the size of the catalogue thumbnails, the catalogue would be very big and I guess in the region of at least 300mb but it would be helpful to know if this is possible.

As I supply directly to magazines it would make the searching for images a lot easier for editors and make their life and mine a lot simpler.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »
David,

Thanks, Kirk. That is really helpful.

Currently, my collection of images is around 500k going back to 1972 and is expanding all the time as I digitise negatives and add more digital events.

1) Will PM+ be able to handle that volume of images?

Yes.  We have tested it with one million images with good results.

2) If so, is it possible to send a copy of the catalogue, without the actual images, to an editor who has a copy of PM+ for him/her to search for images going back over that period?

Obviously, depending on the size of the catalogue thumbnails, the catalogue would be very big and I guess in the region of at least 300mb but it would be helpful to know if this is possible.

The catalog package (folder containing the database and proxy images) if zipped up and sent would work somewhat for searches and viewing the proxy images but no full resolution images would be available to the editor.

It could be a lot of data, perhaps much more than 300mb for 500k images.  You could always have another catalog (we allow more than one catalog database to be active at one time) that is smaller and only has the subset of images you want to share.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2019, 04:11:05 PM »
Excellent, Kirk.

This sounds really interesting.

David

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2019, 07:16:55 PM »
Well, it's march 25th in Europe.  Soon too in north america.  Can't wait.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2019, 10:10:06 PM »
You can read about the initial release of Photo Mechanic 6 here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=11880.0

-Kirk

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2019, 03:32:31 AM »
Just had my first 10 minutes with the PM6 trial.  My first impressions are BRILLIANT!  I especially like that it now has a full-screen mode, I found that very niggling in PM5.  I've never been disappointed with PM5's speed, but now I've had a taste of PM6's speed I don't think I'll be going back!

Great job Kirk!

Offline nick.lagalle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2019, 04:08:10 AM »
Also liking PM6 so far.. the trial activation took a bit to work out.

One thing though, has something change underneath where the export templates are concerned? I had a custom written one now and I am getting compile errors when i hit export. before I head back to the developer, are there any suggestions Kirk?