Author Topic: Combine .arw and .xmp files  (Read 5247 times)

Offline kisa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Combine .arw and .xmp files
« on: August 31, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
Hi,

I've used Lightroom's Map process to Geotag a whole heap of photos from a holiday. Unfortunately due to Lightroom not supporting Sony .arw files (in a geotagging context) it created .xmp files for each .arw file instead of embedding it into the photo.
I've read that one option it to export everything into a .dng file, but I'm reluctant to as I've also read unfavorable stories about converting to .dng.

So my question is, can Photo Mechanic embed the data contained in the .xmp file into my original .arw files? I did install the trail version of Photo Mechanic to try it but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Combine .arw and .xmp files
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »
I've used Lightroom's Map process to Geotag a whole heap of photos from a holiday. Unfortunately due to Lightroom not supporting Sony .arw files (in a geotagging context) it created .xmp files for each .arw file instead of embedding it into the photo.
I've read that one option it to export everything into a .dng file, but I'm reluctant to as I've also read unfavorable stories about converting to .dng.

So my question is, can Photo Mechanic embed the data contained in the .xmp file into my original .arw files? I did install the trail version of Photo Mechanic to try it but couldn't find anything.

Yes, Photo Mechanic can embed XMP (and legacy IPTC) inside Sony ARW files.  You have to adjust your Preferences (IPTC/XMP) to allow this.  See the attached image below for suggested settings.

-Kirk

Offline kisa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Combine .arw and .xmp files
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 07:15:05 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the reply and explanation, I'll give it a go.  :D