Author Topic: How can I prevent a new version of Photo Mechanic from ....  (Read 1532 times)

Offline FotografodelParque

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How can I prevent a new version of Photo Mechanic from ....
« on: August 30, 2018, 06:49:38 PM »
Every time that there is a new version of Photo Mechanic and I install it when I go to ingest the latest images taken, even though I have checked the box to only download the latest files, it goes to the begining of the data on the Memory Chip and re-ingest ALL the images that I have previously transferred to my two drives.

How can I prevent this occurrence other than to erase all images already ingested from the SD card? It is both annoying and very time consuming as I have to wait until it has re-ingested ALL the images on 128GB card that have previously been ingested with an older version of the software. I then have to go the respective drives and erase hundreds of files that were previously ingested.

Suggestions on how to remedy this annoyance?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How can I prevent a new version of Photo Mechanic from ....
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 10:04:45 PM »
Every time that there is a new version of Photo Mechanic and I install it when I go to ingest the latest images taken, even though I have checked the box to only download the latest files, it goes to the begining of the data on the Memory Chip and re-ingest ALL the images that I have previously transferred to my two drives.

How can I prevent this occurrence other than to erase all images already ingested from the SD card? It is both annoying and very time consuming as I have to wait until it has re-ingested ALL the images on 128GB card that have previously been ingested with an older version of the software. I then have to go the respective drives and erase hundreds of files that were previously ingested.

Suggestions on how to remedy this annoyance?

That shouldn't happen if all that you're doing is upgrading.  For that to happen, some of Photo Mechanic's data would need to be erased.  PM stores the ingest information in its cache directory.  If that data is deleted then what you're describing will happen.

Are you running some program that cleans up after uninstalled apps?  How are you installing the new version of PM?

-Kirk