Author Topic: Color Management Toggle  (Read 4644 times)

Offline tswarren

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Color Management Toggle
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:39:40 AM »
Kirk:

I'd like to revive a previous question in the formum regarding the color management icon. I am running 4.5 final on an XP professional machine.

With 4.5, if I ingest a new card of images, turning the color management icon on and off does nothing to the color managed display of my images, both in the contact sheet mode and in the preview window. The color profile associated with the image (Adobe RBG) is still there, and when the image is passed to Photoshop, it opens there as a color managed file, but in PM4.5, it does not display as a color-managed image.

Here's the rub-- when I open a folder of images on the hard drive that were ingested with 4.3.3, then the color management toggle works file, turning the color profile on and off.

I know things are busy with the Navigator fix, but when you have time, if there is a solution, I appreciate it.

Thanks for all you do.

-Ted S. Warren / AP Seattle

Offline marta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Color Management Toggle
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »
Ted

Please see my second post at http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1154.msg5340#msg5340.

Regards,
Marta

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:52:26 PM »
Ted,

I'd like to revive a previous question in the formum regarding the color management icon. I am running 4.5 final on an XP professional machine.

With 4.5, if I ingest a new card of images, turning the color management icon on and off does nothing to the color managed display of my images, both in the contact sheet mode and in the preview window. The color profile associated with the image (Adobe RBG) is still there, and when the image is passed to Photoshop, it opens there as a color managed file, but in PM4.5, it does not display as a color-managed image.

Here's the rub-- when I open a folder of images on the hard drive that were ingested with 4.3.3, then the color management toggle works file, turning the color profile on and off.

I know things are busy with the Navigator fix, but when you have time, if there is a solution, I appreciate it.

Thanks for all you do.

Can you tell me what camera you're shooting with?

What file format(s) are the images?

Can you post a screenshot of the Color Management tab of the Preferences dialog?

And when you're in the Preview window, do you display the {icc} variable?  If not, please add it to your Info Text (Edit->Set Info Text...) and then preview some of the images.

Is the profile listed in the Info Text pane?

If so, does it mention that it was embedded?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tswarren

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 06:46:53 PM »
Kirk:

I am shooting with Canon 1D Mark II, in .jpg format. Camera is set to embed Adobe RGB profile.

In the preferences color management tab, I have no default profile selected (if color profile is undetermined), and all three boxes checked.

In the preview pane info text, it says: ICC Profile: Adobe RGB (1998) (embedded)  -- this is the case for both images that were ingested with 4.5 and with the earlier versions.

Hope that helps, and many thanks.

-Ted

Offline tswarren

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 06:08:41 AM »
Kirk:

The plot thickens....

I have just noticed, that when I open a folder of images that I have ingested in PM and sent to Photoshop (CS2) for editing, and then re-saved, that the color management toggle DOES work for that set of images.

As before, the issue isn't that the color profile isn't embedded with the photos -- it remains associated with each image throughout the process. Only that when the original folder of .jpgs as they come from the camera is opened after ingest (or re-opened other times) then the color management toggle does not work and the images are not displayed in color managed form.

Thanks Kirk,

Ted S. Warren / AP Seattle Photos

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 03:47:23 PM »
Dear Ted and Marta,

OK - I've located the problem here and have a fix for 4.5.1.

First of all, I believe both of you have the "embed ICC profiles into JPEGs" option checked and are shooting AdobeRGB.

In 4.5.0 the ICC profiles that are subsequently embedded aren't technically correct as far as their description (although the actual ICC data is OK), and Microsoft's color engine fails to do the color transformation because of the improper description.  Photoshop doesn't have a problem with the embedded profiles (on either platform), and other applications such as Preview on the Mac also work fine.  It is primarily due to Windows being very picky about the profile description string.  This may also affect other applications (e.g. perhaps Photoshelter?) that rely upon the color engine in Windows.

If you would like to get access to a 4.5.1 beta that will fix this then please send me or Kirk a private message.  The best solution will be to re-embed the AdobeRGB profile to these photos.  I will try to make PM ignore these "bad" profiles in 4.5.1, but that won't necessarily fix any other picky ICC applications on Windows.

--dennis