Author Topic: Slow Processing when ingesting images - are there limits?  (Read 3774 times)

Offline mwhelan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow Processing when ingesting images - are there limits?
« on: September 04, 2018, 10:53:50 AM »
Hi,

I am running Photo Mechanic version 5, build 19695 on a Dell XPS laptop with the following specs:

OS Name   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version   10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Model   XPS 13 9370
System Type   x64-based PC
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   16.0 GB
Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1992 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Over the weekend I had my largest ingest task to date - the main camera comprised of 5500 images (each image had RAW + JPEG version) from Canon 1DX MkII.
This was the main camera body used on the day but there were also 3 other remote cameras in operation (each with about 1000 extra images)

When I now try to ingest the cards from the remote cameras they are begin processed really slowly - the pattern for ingesting seems to be 3 JPEG images are ingested every 12 minutes

Is there a practical limit to the number of files in each ingest folder? - I am currently ingesting into the same folder for all cards.

I've also attached the log - thanks for your support

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow Processing when ingesting images - are there limits?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »
Hi,

I am running Photo Mechanic version 5, build 19695 on a Dell XPS laptop with the following specs:

OS Name   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version   10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Model   XPS 13 9370
System Type   x64-based PC
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   16.0 GB
Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1992 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Over the weekend I had my largest ingest task to date - the main camera comprised of 5500 images (each image had RAW + JPEG version) from Canon 1DX MkII.
This was the main camera body used on the day but there were also 3 other remote cameras in operation (each with about 1000 extra images)

When I now try to ingest the cards from the remote cameras they are begin processed really slowly - the pattern for ingesting seems to be 3 JPEG images are ingested every 12 minutes

Is there a practical limit to the number of files in each ingest folder? - I am currently ingesting into the same folder for all cards.

I've also attached the log - thanks for your support

The speed of Ingest will mostly vary on the speed of the card(s), the card reader, and the quality of the cable connecting your card reader to your computer.  It sounds like your card reader is transferring data at USB 1.0 speeds (or less).  The number of images shouldn't matter much other than the initial scan of the card to see what needs to be ingested.

What card reader are you using?  What card(s)?  Is the cable connecting your card reader to your computer of high quality?

-Kirk

Offline mwhelan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your rapid reply.

I'm using CFast 2.0 cards (128GB) and SanDisk CFast card reader using USB Type-C connections so should be of the highest speed available using the supplied cable. Importing to an external Samsung SSD Drive connected using USB Type-C connection.

These have all worked quite rapidly in the past - as an experiment tonight  I tried to download one of the cards (1000 images) to a new folder and it worked as normal with rapid ingest - it appears that it's the large quantity of files in the main folder that is causing the issue when trying to ingest to the same folder as the other images.

thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your rapid reply.

I'm using CFast 2.0 cards (128GB) and SanDisk CFast card reader using USB Type-C connections so should be of the highest speed available using the supplied cable. Importing to an external Samsung SSD Drive connected using USB Type-C connection.

These have all worked quite rapidly in the past - as an experiment tonight  I tried to download one of the cards (1000 images) to a new folder and it worked as normal with rapid ingest - it appears that it's the large quantity of files in the main folder that is causing the issue when trying to ingest to the same folder as the other images.

thanks

Do you have PM set to open the folders during the Ingest?  If so, then PM could be overwhelmed by the large number of existing images in the folder.  PM's speed of browsing is largely determined by what sort type you're using (Filename is fastest, and the others are slower, with Capture Time sorting being one of the slowest.)

-Kirk

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 11:26:30 PM »
I was ingesting jpegs at a footy match last Saturday, importing batches of 50-200 pics off two XQD cards. The ingest speed slowed to a snails pace. It turned out the USB lead was faulty. Now replaced, I’m back to super fast ingesting.