Author Topic: Ingesting Panasonic .rw2 files  (Read 3808 times)

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
Ingesting Panasonic .rw2 files
« on: September 20, 2018, 06:12:20 AM »
Once in a while I get an error message when ingesting my Panasonic raw files. When it happens it seems that the folder is contaminated as the error occur every time after the first. Changing to a new folder solves the problem. Please help me with a better solution.
Regards
Lars

Error message:

Error copying: /Volumes/LUMIX/PRIVATE/PANA_GRP/PAVC/LUMIX/CONTENTS.B00 to /Users/larsnordberg/Pictures/My library/Lumix II/CONTENTS.B00
Error copying: /Volumes/LUMIX/PRIVATE/PANA_GRP/PAVC/LUMIX/CONTENTS.D00 to /Users/larsnordberg/Pictures/My library/Lumix II/CONTENTS.D00
Error copying: /Volumes/LUMIX/PRIVATE/PANA_GRP/PAVC/LUMIX/GROUPINF.B00 to /Users/larsnordberg/Pictures/My library/Lumix II/GROUPINF.B00
Error copying: /Volumes/LUMIX/PRIVATE/PANA_GRP/PAVC/LUMIX/GROUPINF.D00 to /Users/larsnordberg/Pictures/My library/Lumix II/GROUPINF.D00
Warning: Finished copying from volume "/Volumes/LUMIX/", but not unmounting because there were errors

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingesting Panasonic .rw2 files
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:33:57 AM »
Lars,

Once in a while I get an error message when ingesting my Panasonic raw files. When it happens it seems that the folder is contaminated as the error occur every time after the first. Changing to a new folder solves the problem. Please help me with a better solution.

"Changing to a new folder solves the problem."  Where are you changing the folder?  In the camera?  In Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 01:05:20 PM »
Kirk,

I create a new folder on my Mac using Photo Mechanic, change the destination to this folder in Ingest. From then on Ingest works fine until I encounter the same problem again.

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »
Lars,

I create a new folder on my Mac using Photo Mechanic, change the destination to this folder in Ingest. From then on Ingest works fine until I encounter the same problem again.

Does the problem always happen with files in the "PAVC" directory on the card?

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 03:40:20 AM »
Kirk,
Sorry for late reply but we have a 9 hour time difference since I live in Europe.

As I recall, the error messages are always the same. The files in the "PAVAC" directory on the card are hidden but copied together with my raw files during ingest to my folder (Mac). Three of them are then visible and the ones mentioned in the error messages and a cache.dat file are still hidden.

These 3 files appear every time I ingest, so if I ingest 5 times to the same directory they will be added 5 times. I will mostly delete these files, but I now realise that the hidden files times 5 plus the cache.dat are still on my Mac. All these files are renamed with A, B, C etc added to them when ingesting. But the files in the error message are the first once as there are no added letter to these file names.

Is that causing the problem? I am way out of my computer knowledge.

Lars
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:44:17 AM by LarsN »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »
Lars,

As I recall, the error messages are always the same. The files in the "PAVAC" directory on the card are hidden but copied together with my raw files during ingest to my folder (Mac). Three of them are then visible and the ones mentioned in the error messages and a cache.dat file are still hidden.

These 3 files appear every time I ingest, so if I ingest 5 times to the same directory they will be added 5 times. I will mostly delete these files, but I now realise that the hidden files times 5 plus the cache.dat are still on my Mac. All these files are renamed with A, B, C etc added to them when ingesting. But the files in the error message are the first once as there are no added letter to these file names.

Is that causing the problem? I am way out of my computer knowledge.

I expect so.  Are they just absolutely useless files?  They serve no useful purpose whatsoever?  If so, then we could add them to our internal 'ignore' list and have Ingest skip them.

I'd have to take your word for it, we don't have direct access to your model camera.

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:26 AM »
Kirk,

That would be fine. I have ingested files from Panasonic Lumix models GX1, GX7 and G9, all of them giving the same problem. And I have never been able to find any use of the files. Photo Mechanic is the base for my workflow and then I use DxO Photo Lab, Affinity Photo and Aperture. There have never been an issue with or without these files.

On my SD card the directory read: private/PANA_GRP/PAVC/LUMIX/
AUTOSEND.LST
CACHE.DAT
CONTENTS.B00
CONTENTS.D00
FILEINFO.TBL
GROUPINF.B00
GROUPINF.D00
TEMP/095E33F0.CPC
         095E33F0.CPG

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 11:11:24 AM »
Lars,

That would be fine. I have ingested files from Panasonic Lumix models GX1, GX7 and G9, all of them giving the same problem. And I have never been able to find any use of the files. Photo Mechanic is the base for my workflow and then I use DxO Photo Lab, Affinity Photo and Aperture. There have never been an issue with or without these files.

On my SD card the directory read: private/PANA_GRP/PAVC/LUMIX/
AUTOSEND.LST
CACHE.DAT
CONTENTS.B00
CONTENTS.D00
FILEINFO.TBL
GROUPINF.B00
GROUPINF.D00
TEMP/095E33F0.CPC
         095E33F0.CPG

Are there any useful files in the private/PANA_GRP/PAVC/LUMIX path?

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
Kirk,

There is another path: private/AVCHD. Appart from that nothing.The photo files are found under the root path: DCIM/100_PANA/

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 01:07:33 PM »
Lars,

There is another path: private/AVCHD. Appart from that nothing.The photo files are found under the root path: DCIM/100_PANA/

AVCHD is a standard for video and PM handles that group of files/folders just fine.

Sounds like we can ignore the PANA_GRP folder completely.

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 02:32:02 AM »
Kirk,

I believe the PANA_GRP folder and its content on the SD card communicate with the camera. Searching the internet I found some evidence of that to.

Ignoring the PANA_GRP folder when importing picture files to the computer must be correct as its content do not add anything when processing pictures. If I would manually transfer the picture files from the SD card to my computer I would never think of transferring anything from PANA_GRP as all the files are hidden.

Please adjust PM to ignore the PANA_GRP folder completely.

Lars