Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

PhotoMechanic altering metadata/MD5 hash?

<< < (2/2)

big0mike:
I'm trying to make it easy on the tech guys buy ingesting a card of images several times so they can check the MD5 Hash.

* 1 is a straight copy from the card without PM
* 2 is a copy with PM creating the directory but NOT adding IPTC data into the photo
* 3 is a copy with PM creating the directory and renaming the file but NOT adding IPTC data
* 4 is a copy with PM creating the directory, renaming file, adding IPTC data
My problem, as you can probably guess, seems to be that if I do NOT "Apply IPTC Stationery Pad to Photos" the fields that I have setup in the stationery pad are not used to create the directory name.

Is there a way for the ingest dialog to use that data for directory names without inserting the same data into the photo?

Mike

Odd Skjaeveland:

--- Quote from: big0mike on September 21, 2018, 02:09:10 PM ---I'm trying to make it easy on the tech guys buy ingesting a card of images several times so they can check the MD5 Hash.

--- End quote ---

At what point/step is the hash created in your end?

big0mike:
I have no idea. My assumption after speaking with Kirk is the hash is made when the file is written to my hard drive.

Odd Skjaeveland:

--- Quote from: big0mike on September 22, 2018, 06:47:24 AM ---My assumption after speaking with Kirk is the hash is made when the file is written to my hard drive.

--- End quote ---

That would mean an application on your computer, right?

DNG files are known to have an embedded MD5 hash (a DNG may actually have more than one hash for different purposes).

I am not aware of PM embedding MD5, but I think Adobe's DNG converter does so.

A camera that saves DNG files to the memory card, likely calculates and embeds a MD5 hash. But that is outside your computer.

I used to believe the MD5 was calculated from the DNG "pixel data" not including the IPTC. I obviously need to read the DNG specification again  :)

uberfarben:

--- Quote from: big0mike on September 22, 2018, 06:47:24 AM ---I have no idea. My assumption after speaking with Kirk is the hash is made when the file is written to my hard drive.

--- End quote ---

I'm assuming the digital asset management system used by the Germany office uses checksums to detect duplicates and the checksums are calculated internally on ingest. If you use PhotoMechanic to download and edit metadata before uploading the files to the DAM then the checksum duplicate detection will most likely always fail.

Some DAMs can be configured to detect duplication using filenames instead to get around this issue. But this method can also have failures. The simplest solution is to improve your workflow by making sure you don't upload the same file twice to the DAM.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version