Author Topic: Photo Mechanic & MacOS Mojave  (Read 9223 times)

Offline CampanellaFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic & MacOS Mojave
« on: June 27, 2018, 03:09:21 AM »
Anyone know if the latest build of Photo Mechanic plays nice with the beta of the coming MacOS Mojave?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic & MacOS Mojave
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 07:45:37 AM »
Anyone know if the latest build of Photo Mechanic plays nice with the beta of the coming MacOS Mojave?

No.  And we never recommend that you use any beta OS (or even initial OS releases) with Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline CampanellaFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »
I know, but I need to put the beta on one of my systems at some point this summer so I figured I would ask if it played nice.

Is that a no as in “no, it is not compatible” or no as in “no, I do not know”?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 05:08:45 PM »
I know, but I need to put the beta on one of my systems at some point this summer so I figured I would ask if it played nice.

Is that a no as in “no, it is not compatible” or no as in “no, I do not know”?

We have not tested with the beta OS.  It may work fine.  Or it may have problems.  Or the OS will have some heinous problems like macOS High Sierra had (and still likely has!)  I would not trust it for production work.

-Kirk

Offline CampanellaFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »
Hey Kirk have you guys had a chance to test out PM I got Mojave yet? It’s likely to be released around the 12 of September.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 02:45:24 PM »
Hey Kirk have you guys had a chance to test out PM I got Mojave yet? It’s likely to be released around the 12 of September.

I actually do not know.  Today is a company holiday so I can't ask around and get a response from our testing team until tomorrow.

-Kirk

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 08:15:19 AM »
do we know anything more about Mac OS Mojave and Photo Mechanic compatibilty? is it working or are there any issues?

thank you,

Jure

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 09:10:00 AM »
Jure,

do we know anything more about Mac OS Mojave and Photo Mechanic compatibilty? is it working or are there any issues?

It appears to work fine.  Though we still recommend that all users not upgrade to any new OS until at least a few updates have landed.  Apple is notorious for initial releases with serious problems that are patched in a month or two.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »
Jure,
...we still recommend that all users not upgrade to any new OS until at least a few updates have landed.  Apple is notorious for initial releases with serious problems that are patched in a month or two.

-Kirk

Now Mojave is here I'm thinking might be time for me to move to High Sierra!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
Jure,
...we still recommend that all users not upgrade to any new OS until at least a few updates have landed.  Apple is notorious for initial releases with serious problems that are patched in a month or two.

Now Mojave is here I'm thinking might be time for me to move to High Sierra!

That's generally the way I do it, stay one whole version behind.  Unless there is some absolutely amazing feature that I just can't cope without, I stay behind.  The last version OS gets all of the security updates so you're safe, and the bugs have long been worked out.

-Kirk

Offline CampanellaFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 03:05:59 AM »
I upgrade to Mojave this week and PM works fine on my MacBook Pro. Seemed like an okay year to take the plunge early as both iOS12 and Mojave seem much more like stability releases than new features releases.

Only difference on Mojave is the you get a shaming message the first time you launch PM telling you the app is 32-bit and this is the last MacOS version to support 32-bit apps. Seems like the message is a one time thing, because even after shutting down the system I have not seen it again.

BTW dark mode is awesome and I would love it if PM supported the MacOS dark mode implementation.