Author Topic: Lost (?) tools  (Read 2602 times)

Offline dwbfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lost (?) tools
« on: September 22, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
I'm still using 4.3.8. Vertical photos shot with a D3 rotate automatically, but those shot with a D500 don't. I looked for the tools to select soft rotation -- there's no tool list.

I know I've been able to change dates/times in the past (I believe that's in the tool list), so I wonder if I've somehow "lost" the list. Would a reinstall help? Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lost (?) tools
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
I'm still using 4.3.8. Vertical photos shot with a D3 rotate automatically, but those shot with a D500 don't. I looked for the tools to select soft rotation -- there's no tool list.

I know I've been able to change dates/times in the past (I believe that's in the tool list), so I wonder if I've somehow "lost" the list. Would a reinstall help? Thanks

I don't know.  It may be worth a try.  I haven't used PM 4.3.x in years.

-Kirk

Offline dwbfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »
Am I correct that there should be a "tools" menu (dropdown) along with "file", "edit", "image", "view" and "help"? I don't have one (now).

If D3 files auto-rotate, should D500 files also?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
Am I correct that there should be a "tools" menu (dropdown) along with "file", "edit", "image", "view" and "help"? I don't have one (now).

If D3 files auto-rotate, should D500 files also?

The D500 was released long after PM 4.3.8 was created and updated.  I doubt that it will do much with that camera's photos.  I don't have any systems capable of running PM 4.3.8 anymore.  PM 4.3.8 is very old and is no longer updated with support for new cameras or OS releases.  If I recall correctly, the Tools menu made its first appearance in PM 4.5 which is still very old software.

I suggest that you upgrade to Photo Mechanic 5, which is the current release, is supported, and is being updated.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
Looking back at your posts, it appears that you also have PM 4.4.x, why not try that version and see if it works better for you?

-Kirk

Offline dwbfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »
Thanks. 4.3.8 is the only disc I have. I think I had updated online somewhere along the line, but then ended up back with 4.3.8. Are any versions prior to 5 available online? I didn't find them.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 04:46:34 PM »
Thanks. 4.3.8 is the only disc I have. I think I had updated online somewhere along the line, but then ended up back with 4.3.8. Are any versions prior to 5 available online? I didn't find them.

I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

They should be able to get you a download link if you tell them which version you need and what OS you run Photo Mechanic on.

-Kirk