Author Topic: Error renaming C0001.MP4  (Read 5449 times)

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Error renaming C0001.MP4
« on: September 27, 2018, 11:06:57 AM »
When PM 5.0 ingests a video it does not rename it.  In addition when I attempt to rename all files within a folder, I get an error:

An error occurred while renaming "C0001.MP4". The operation will be cancelled, and the original filenames will be restored.

Is this a bug or is this the intended process for naming videos captured on a card?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Error renaming C0001.MP4
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »
Rich,

When PM 5.0 ingests a video it does not rename it.  In addition when I attempt to rename all files within a folder, I get an error:

An error occurred while renaming "C0001.MP4". The operation will be cancelled, and the original filenames will be restored.

Is this a bug or is this the intended process for naming videos captured on a card?

What other files are in the folder that the video resides, and what name are you trying to set the above C0001.MP4 file to?

-Kirk

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 01:16:43 PM »
Kirk, PM didn't rename the file upon ingest from the card.  I copied the files to a folder on my HDD with the same results.  I have attached a listing of most of the folders and files with the exception of the 100MSDCF folder which contains the .ARW files.

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »
Also the renaming string is:  {yr2}{mn0}{day0}_{seqn}_a7RIII .

I have attached a screenshot of where I just tried to rename the .mp4 and presumably it's associated .xml file.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »
Rich,

Also the renaming string is:  {yr2}{mn0}{day0}_{seqn}_a7RIII .

I have attached a screenshot of where I just tried to rename the .mp4 and presumably it's associated .xml file.

I see that PM can't render your video.  If it can't render a file, then most variables are going to resolve to an empty string.  Try putting those same variables as one of your three possible thumbnail labels to see what they evaluate into.

-Kirk

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »
I'm not sure what you wanted me to do, so here is what I tried.  I have discovered there are 3 files associated with each MP4 file:  1. The mp4 file 2. an XML file 3. a thumbnail file which is saved in the THMBNL folder on the card.  I was able to double click and change the names in PM for the XML and JPG file, but I couldn't double click and change the name of the mp4 file.  BTW the mp4 file name is red.

I closed the tab and renamed the mp4 file name to match the xml and jpg.  I then opened the folder in PM5 and tried to rename again and got the same error.  Now the I have realized there are 3 files, ideally I would have wanted all 3 to be renamed like the raw+jpg pair names are kept in sync.  I am wanting the mp4 file to be in the same file name sequence as when they were captured. 

In addition, the original file names for the raw files have the _DSC0001.ARW convention and the video files which are kept in another folder are named C0001.mp4, the XML file is named C0001M01.XML, and the thumbnail is named C0001T01.  I am seeing what a mess all of this is.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 07:40:20 PM »
Rich,

I'm not sure what you wanted me to do, so here is what I tried.  I have discovered there are 3 files associated with each MP4 file:  1. The mp4 file 2. an XML file 3. a thumbnail file which is saved in the THMBNL folder on the card.  I was able to double click and change the names in PM for the XML and JPG file, but I couldn't double click and change the name of the mp4 file.  BTW the mp4 file name is red.

I closed the tab and renamed the mp4 file name to match the xml and jpg.  I then opened the folder in PM5 and tried to rename again and got the same error.  Now the I have realized there are 3 files, ideally I would have wanted all 3 to be renamed like the raw+jpg pair names are kept in sync.  I am wanting the mp4 file to be in the same file name sequence as when they were captured. 

In addition, the original file names for the raw files have the _DSC0001.ARW convention and the video files which are kept in another folder are named C0001.mp4, the XML file is named C0001M01.XML, and the thumbnail is named C0001T01.  I am seeing what a mess all of this is.

If PM can't show the file (red text for thumbnail) then it isn't going to do much at all successfully with the file.  It's an error condition, basically.  I assume that the file uses some codec that PM can't support at this time.  If you want to rename it, rename it with the Finder.

HTH,

-Kirk