Author Topic: Generating flat html page from hierarchal directories  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Gary_G

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Generating flat html page from hierarchal directories
« on: October 06, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
I've read and old post in which Kirk explains the difficulty of generating a web page consisting of web pages. However; it should be possible to generate a flat html gallery from a hierarchy of directories, providing the names of the contained files are unique. Unfortunately; PM 5 seems to require that all file be dumped into one directory. This doesn't work for me, because I store my old digitized photos and sides in directories by roll number. Am I mistaken about the capabilities of PM5? Is there a solution that doesn't involve creating a "slush" directory solely to generate a web page?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Generating flat html page from hierarchal directories
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 07:57:46 AM »
Gary,

I've read and old post in which Kirk explains the difficulty of generating a web page consisting of web pages. However; it should be possible to generate a flat html gallery from a hierarchy of directories, providing the names of the contained files are unique. Unfortunately; PM 5 seems to require that all file be dumped into one directory. This doesn't work for me, because I store my old digitized photos and sides in directories by roll number. Am I mistaken about the capabilities of PM5? Is there a solution that doesn't involve creating a "slush" directory solely to generate a web page?

Not sure which statements you're referring to, but you should be able to open an entire folder tree as a single contact sheet and produce a flat web gallery from it in PM5.  Please note that if your folder tree contains more than a few thousand photos, that PM will struggle with it.  You'll have to be patient.

To open your folder tree, use the "Open folder and Subfolders in new Contact Sheet" option from the Navigator or Favorites.  Once it loads, select all of the items and Export (File->Export...) using your chosen template.

HTH,

-Kirk