Author Topic: Color Class/ Selection Tag removes Windows keywords/tags on jpegs  (Read 2528 times)

Offline dman13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hoping to get some clarification on what happens within PM when setting a color class or selection tag to a photo -

I am running some custom software that tags and renames my photos (jpegs) as they come into my pc.

From there I use PM to cull the images.   

Problem - each time I assign a color class to a photo, it removes the keyword.

I use the keywords/ tags online so it's a bit frustrating that tags keep disappearing!  I have to go through (windows explorer) and re-keyword.

PM can't see the existing keywords from Windows (at least I cant see that anywhere.) 
Keywords applied in PM are not adjusted when adding a color class.   It's only the inherited keywords in windows that are deleted.. 

Any thoughts on what is happening would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Color Class/ Selection Tag removes Windows keywords/tags on jpegs
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 07:58:23 AM »
Hoping to get some clarification on what happens within PM when setting a color class or selection tag to a photo -

I am running some custom software that tags and renames my photos (jpegs) as they come into my pc.

From there I use PM to cull the images.   

Problem - each time I assign a color class to a photo, it removes the keyword.

I use the keywords/ tags online so it's a bit frustrating that tags keep disappearing!  I have to go through (windows explorer) and re-keyword.

PM can't see the existing keywords from Windows (at least I cant see that anywhere.) 
Keywords applied in PM are not adjusted when adding a color class.   It's only the inherited keywords in windows that are deleted.. 

Any thoughts on what is happening would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Can you post a sample image with keywords that you added in Windows Explorer?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your sample file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dman13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

4 sample images supplied. 

It seems to happen to an image that doesn't already have a color class.   ie - if I tag a photo after it is been colored class'd, I can change the color again without the keyword/tag data loss.

Within windows - I am just using the shift/alt/P details to view and adjust the tags.

Using the newest version of PM on Windows 10.

Thanks again for helping with this.   

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »
The sample jpegs,  just have the two characters, hh in the keywords field and only in the IPTC section.  The XMP section is the one written by the camera with a rating = 0 and does not have any keywords.  Photo Mechanic's default IPTC/XMP preference settings are set to read XMP before IPTC. If you change it to read IPTC before XMP, in the upper left section : for Jpegs, Tiffs, PSD and DNG files, then you will see the keywords in Photo Mechanic's IPTC Info dialog and anywhere you use the Keywords variable. Make sure the box is checked at the upper right section to add embedded IPTC.

Now it will be a good idea to update the XMP section with the same keywords. Select all and then use the Update IPTC / XMP option from the Tools menu. This will copy the IPTC info into the XMP section so both sections are now sync'd.    You should be able to add a color label, star rating or other info and still have the keywords available in the File Explorer Window. Do you have your File Explorer Window set to show Photo Mechanic's  keywords and ratings?  If not, then see my attached screen shot for this configuration.

--Bob