Author Topic: Next/previous slide in slideshow  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Next/previous slide in slideshow
« on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
I am running PM V5.0 build 19695 on a MacBook Air running macOS 10.13.6

I would like to be able run "Image/Slide Show" controlling "next/previous slide" using a presentation remote control (I am using a Logitech Professional Presenter R800, but I assume this issue is true for all such remote controls).

But it doesn't work.  PM doesn't respond.  However, the remote control works just fine for LibreOffice Impress Presentation files or next/previous page commands for PDFs in Preview or for a set of jpegs in Preview.

I assume that the issue is that these other applications respond to the "up/down arrows" whereas PM doesn't; instead it responds to the "left / right arrows".  (I am further assuming that it is "up/down arrow" signals that the remote control is sending to the computer but I don't know how to verify this). 

Is there anyway I can get "Image/Slide Show" to respond to up/down instead of (or in addition to) left/right?  If not, would you consider this for a future release?

Thanks
Bob M

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Next/previous slide in slideshow
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:03:23 PM »
Bob,

I am running PM V5.0 build 19695 on a MacBook Air running macOS 10.13.6

I would like to be able run "Image/Slide Show" controlling "next/previous slide" using a presentation remote control (I am using a Logitech Professional Presenter R800, but I assume this issue is true for all such remote controls).

But it doesn't work.  PM doesn't respond.  However, the remote control works just fine for LibreOffice Impress Presentation files or next/previous page commands for PDFs in Preview or for a set of jpegs in Preview.

I assume that the issue is that these other applications respond to the "up/down arrows" whereas PM doesn't; instead it responds to the "left / right arrows".  (I am further assuming that it is "up/down arrow" signals that the remote control is sending to the computer but I don't know how to verify this). 

Is there anyway I can get "Image/Slide Show" to respond to up/down instead of (or in addition to) left/right?  If not, would you consider this for a future release?

Possibly.  But doesn't the software for your "Logitech Professional Presenter R800" allow you to choose what key commands are generated by it?

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »
Don't know.  Certainly, there is no indication that you can do anything like this with the minimal documentation that came with it.  I will look online.

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 01:05:28 PM »
I guess I am out of luck.  In checking online I learn that Macs are not a supported system for this device.  (Although it seems to work fine for LibreOffice.  I originally purchased this for my Windows 7 machine.  I subsequently decided to try a Mac rather than switch to Windows 10).

I went back and tried the combination of the remote with PM on my Windows 7 machine.  That didn't work either.  But in playing with Windows Explorer, it now looks to me that the remote is transmitting a page-up/page-down signal rather than up-arrow/down-arrow.

OK, this is getting too messy, too quickly.  And the bottom line is that I am using an unsupported peripheral on my Mac and then asking Camera Bits whether they can help me make it work.  Good luck with that.  :)

But before I go out and buy another remote compatible with my Mac, perhaps I can ask the general community: Has anyone had success in controlling PM with a presentation remote?  Has anyone tried?

Kirk: Thanks for your quick response and pushing me towards the straight and narrow.  Maybe I'll be revive this topic in the future but hopefully better informed.