Author Topic: Beta 4.5 D200 nef can't open anymore  (Read 6729 times)

Offline wolverlei

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Beta 4.5 D200 nef can't open anymore
« on: March 30, 2007, 02:41:22 AM »
I've got a serious problem. I putted IPTC information in D200 nefs+jpg files. Bridge, PS CS2 and NX cannot open the raw files anymore! They "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"
Bridge and NX do not show the thumbnails either. PM shows the thumbs but thats all. ACDSee 9 sees the thumbnails and can open them! But the raw converter is not as good as NX or PS.

What happenend?

Martin Stevens.

Offline wolverlei

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Beta 4.5 D200 nef can't open anymore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:47:59 AM »
I found it.

These programs aro not IPTC 4 compatibel. When I remove the adress part than both programs can read the nef files again.. pfff

Offline wolverlei

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 03:53:15 AM »
I'm answering myself  ;D

But I found another strange thing in this. When I put the IPTC in a NEf and THAN open it in adobe raw it goes right. I make jpg copy.. all well and I cabn open it all the time including the adresses.

It seems to happen when you make a jpg in adobe raw and THAN put IPTC4 information in the combination in PD. Than adobe cannot read the NEF anymore unless you remove the adress part out of the IPTC....

Offline wolverlei

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 04:43:16 AM »
and again

I've got beta 111 now.

I can put iptc data on ingest  in the Nef's. I can open it including the name and adress and so on. Than I put information in the iptc with PM  (description) And THEN PS CS2 cannot open the nef anymore. :( ???

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:36:04 PM »
Martin,

I cannot reproduce this problem so I guess I need more info from you.

What are your IPTC/XMP prefs set to?  Perhaps you could post a screen capture of the section "For TIFF-based RAW photos" or just let me know whether you have "Add embeded IPTC" and "Add embeded IPTC4XMP" checked, and what the menu setting is for XMP sidecar files.  Also, what is your Default IPTC encoding set to (e.g. Mac Roman) and are you writing IPTC as Unicode?  If you are only embedding IPTC and you are using Unicode, please be aware that Photoshop cannot properly read Unicode (UTF-8) IPTC data.

By address do you mean the Contact Address field?

--dennis

Offline wolverlei

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:10:23 PM »
yes, contact adress field. And here is the screen capture

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:35:31 PM »
Martin,

Can you please provide more info regarding your workflow?

I would like to know the minimum number of steps needed to repeat this problem on our side.  Since you are the only one to report this problem I suspect it may be due to other software besides Photo Mechanic (e.g. it could even be that you are running Vista with Nikon's codec installed).

For example, if you copy a NEF file straight from the camera card to your computer and only use Photo Mechanic to caption the NEF (or JPEG) file, do you still have the same problems?  Are you using Capture NX to save a new NEF file with IPTC info (there are still known bugs with Capture NX and IPTC embedding)?

The more info we have about your workflow the easier it will be to find out what the problem is.

--dennis

Offline wolverlei

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 11:10:59 PM »
Im working with Windows XP and I don't use NX only in extreme cases. PS is sufficient for me.

I ingest direct from camera (D200) with PM.

Than I can open the nef in ACR. Contact adress and so in are filled in by ingest.
I save a JPG in tghe same map. Than I change something in the IPTC with PM in the combined preview NEF+JPG mode and THAN ACR cannot open the nef anymore. PS opens the JPG correct. With all iptc information.
In bridge you can see all the file info just like in PS BUT in tyhe NEF which cannot openend in PS Bridge doesn't see any file info.

A nef which is not openend in ACr and IPTC changed in PM has the IPTC which can readed bij Bridge..

It seems that when I try to change the IPTC in a converted NEF the IPTC is not connected to the NEF anymore and that courses the troubles.

and Dennis, for now, I go to sleep because it is quarter past one in the night for me here in Holland.. I'm very busy tomorrow so it wil be in teh evening when I can respond.

Martin